What's going on with Render Elements in VrayNext update 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's going on with Render Elements in VrayNext update 1

Reflection pass and Gi pass has crashed and burned. Any idea why these guys are rendering incorrectly? And how do we fix?
    Vincent Jaramillo
    Smithgroup
    301 Battery Street
    San Francisco, Ca 94111

Please send me the scene.
    If it was that easy, it would have already been done

Peter Matanov
    Chaos

Comment

Let me know what the process is to submit the file.
      Vincent Jaramillo
      Smithgroup
      301 Battery Street
      San Francisco, Ca 94111

Comment

If the scene is not that big, you can send it to me directly by email. Else you can upload it on some sharing site and send me the link (on my mail).

Peter Matanov
        Chaos

Comment

Send a download link. Thanks.
          Vincent Jaramillo
          Smithgroup
          301 Battery Street
          San Francisco, Ca 94111

Comment

The problem here is that the scene contains a lot of Autodesk materials and there is an issue with rendering some of them. Please stick to using V-Ray materials, legacy things like Raytrace mtl/map and Autodesk materials can bring some unexpected problems when you render them.

In this particular case you can use the 3ds max scene converter to convert them to Physical or Standard materials.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_3.png
Views:	47
Size:	27.7 KB
ID:	1020791

Peter Matanov
            Chaos

Comment

We also discussed this with Peter Matanov internally and we will probably try to render those materials as grayscale or something if they are not converted.

Best regards,
              Vlado
              I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Maybe include a prompt upon render that suggests the user uses the scene converter tool to fix errors such as these?
                CGI Artist @ Staud Studios

Comment

Originally posted by vlado View Post
                  We also discussed this with Peter Matanov internally and we will probably try to render those materials as grayscale or something if they are not converted.

Best regards,
                  Vlado
                  Great idea!
                  https://www.behance.net/Oliver_Kossatz

Comment

Great...thanks for the fast feedback. Just a couple of questions. In the past a sign that there were raytrace materials from autodesk was that Max would just crash when I hit render or at times I would just get warnings stating that a specific material couldn't be rendered, but the passes were completely clean. Does VrayNext handle this differently now compared to previous versions? I rendered a separate project yesterday and got the following results in the gi and reflection passes. Not as bad as the example you tested, but still unusable for post work. See all the pretty fire flies. This is with bucket rendering.
                    Vincent Jaramillo
                    Smithgroup
                    301 Battery Street
                    San Francisco, Ca 94111

Comment

Quick note....If we switch our primary to Irradiance Map, all good, but when we switch back to Brute Force...beautiful fire flies.
                      Vincent Jaramillo
                      Smithgroup
                      301 Battery Street
                      San Francisco, Ca 94111

Comment

Originally posted by vjaramillo View Post
                        Quick note....If we switch our primary to Irradiance Map, all good, but when we switch back to Brute Force...beautiful fire flies.
                        Irradiance map is a dead development avenue, so it behaves as it did way back when.
                        Next introduces a slew of performance enhancements, and to do so it has to forego some of the oldest, and weirdest, stuff it used to do in the name of compatibility (f.e. the Autodesk Materials.).
                        So the behaviour above is expected.

Instead of rendering them as Gray, i'd vote for a toggle to render them as full red color, or analogous unmistakable visual warning.
                        It benefits no one to have a red wall rendered as gray, i'd wager, so the only possible solution would be to fix and rerender, anyway.
                        Hence the visual warning works better in that respect.
                        Notice that the person which renders may not have information on how the material was supposed to look, so a "decent" gray color may instill false security, which would be paid dearly later on.
                        Lele
                        Trouble Stirrer in RnD @ Chaos
                        ----------------------
                        emanuele.lecchi@chaos.com

Disclaimer:
                        The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

Working...
                        X