Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Combining VRayEdgeTex in VRayNext GPU

Hello everyone,

at our company we are using VRayEdgeTex to avoid hard edges in rendering of imported CAD models from original construction data of huge and complex industrial products. Changing mesh topology or remodelling of those models would be a worse and cost intensive process, so we are very happy with the VRayEdgeTex workflow. In the CPU version of legacy VRay and even VRayNext there are no problems when we render combinations of VRayEdgeTex with any other maps, but in VRayNext GPU i got some issues. For the future we got plans to integrate VRayNext and especcially the GPU renderer into our pipeline, so I did some tests and now I have some questions concerning my results. Please have a look at my examples attatched, pay attention to the image numbers and watch it in full resolution (because I shooted the entire screen with small letters ).

01: Just rendered VRayEdgeTex - everthing works fine.
    02: Just rendered Noise - everthing works fine.
    03: Combining VRayEdgeTex with Noise via VRayNormalMap. Sample preview in material editor works fine but the bump combination failed in rendering. No entry in VRay Log.
    04: Combining VRayEdgeTex with Noise via Composite. Sample preview in material editor works fine but bump combination failed in rendering. During the LightCache prepass the bump combination seems to work (see left side region of framebuffer). Warning entry in VRay Log.
    05: Combining VRayEdgeTex with Bitmap, mapped to specific map channel, via VRayNormalMap. Sample preview in material editor and bump combination in rendering are working fine. (The only issue here is that it works only with the VRayNormalMap node and a non procedural bitmap which requires specific mapping coords.)
    06: Combining VRayEdgeTex with Bitmap, mapped to specific map channel, via Composite.Sample preview in material editor works fine but bump combination failed in rendering. During the LightCache prepass the bump combination seems to work (see left side region of framebuffer). Warning entry in VRay Log. The rendered bump result of just the Bitmap, while the EdgeTex is ignored, is different to the result in image 05.

To create photorealistic materials for our hard edge CAD modells we need to be free in combining VRayEdgeTex with many other maps, sometimes in even different ways. So it is extremely important to us that this feature works in VRayNext GPU if we want to use it in the future.

Can you please show me a way how to do that or can you grant a look into future development of this feature?

Thanks in advance!
    Attached Files

Just attached image 06.
    Attached Files

Comment

Hey,

In V-Ray GPU you can use the VRayBumpMtl to combine rounded corners with other bumps.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_5.png
Views:	111
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	1022052Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_5.png
Views:	72
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	1022053
      If it was that easy, it would have already been done

Peter Matanov
      Chaos