Strange reflection pass behavior

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange reflection pass behavior

We are experiencing a strange behavior after updating to the "update 1.1" version
    The reflection pass is correct only by disabling both the ADAPTIVE DOME and the CONSISTENT LIGHTING ELEMENTS.
    No other combination produces a correct result, so the ADAPTIVE DOME can not be used in production, again ...

Thank you for reporting this, I was able to reproduce the same problem here and have registered it under VMAX-8154 in our bug tracking system.
    We will let you know once it is fixed.
    Kristina Georgieva
    Technical Support
    support@chaosgroup.com
    Chaos Group

Comment

Well, Vlado told me that the first image is actually the correct solution after upgrading to Update 1. The reflection pass now only houses the indirect reflection. All other things will now be found in the specular element. This output is consistent with nearly any other renderer out there (Corona, Arnold, Octane etc). These changes had to be made because otherwise some speed improvements would have been impossible.

Edit:
      I think it would be a good idea to tell people about this, because it is quite a big change if you have been using V-Ray for a long time. Maybe make a sticky note about this in the announcement section?
      Last edited by kosso_olli; 15-01-2019, 05:15 AM.
      https://www.behance.net/Oliver_Kossatz

Comment

Oliver is right. This is the new behaviour and everything should comp back to beauty properly.
        If it was that easy, it would have already been done

Peter Matanov
        Chaos

Comment

I still think Chaosgroup should raise awareness for this. I am surprised this didn't come up earlier.

Comment

We will add notes in the respective pages in the docs.
            If it was that easy, it would have already been done

Peter Matanov
            Chaos

Comment

So it's a bug and should I expect a fix or not?

Comment

It's not a bug, this is the intended behavior. The missing reflections are now in the Specular element because they are direct reflections of the dome light.
                Radoslav Platikanov | V-Ray R&D

Comment

This might be the most radical change in V-Ray ever.

Comment

Ok, taken for granted that this is correct, how can I get a render pass equal to the old VRay_Reflection?

Comment

To be exactly equal, the adaptive dome and the consistent elements option have to be disabled like you've found out. Otherwise you can add the Reflection and Specular elements together in post to get all reflections.
                      Radoslav Platikanov | V-Ray R&D

Comment

Working...
                      X