Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Backburner "skip existing images" render takes ages to skip each frame due to computations.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Backburner "skip existing images" render takes ages to skip each frame due to computations.

So I had to delete a few frames of an animation and re-render them. I chose to "skip existing images" and restart the render.

Every frame seems to have a whole bunch of maths happening: updating instances, prepaing lights, embree calcs etc.

Can we not just do the frame check first to save some time?

PS - I think Chaos should make a render manager.
    http://www.jd3d.co.uk - Vray Mentor

Originally posted by JD3D_CGI View Post
    So I had to delete a few frames of an animation and re-render them. I chose to "skip existing images" and restart the render. Every frame seems to have a whole bunch of maths happening: updating instances, prepaing lights, embree calcs etc. Can we not just do the frame check first to save some time?
    Do you use the 3ds Max render output, or the V-Ray one? The check for existing images for the V-Ray output kicks in way too late, I agree - and we definitely need to improve that. For the moment, I set up both - the 3ds Max output to write JPG images which I also use for quick previews, and the V-Ray output for multichannel OpenEXR files to actually use later on. The 3ds Max check for existing images kicks in early when a JPG file for a frame is present and avoids all that preparation time.

PS - I think Chaos should make a render manager.
    It's been requested before, but that's a whole host of other issues on top of everything else

Best regards,
    Vlado
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Do you use the 3ds Max render output, or the V-Ray one? The check for existing images for the V-Ray output kicks in way too late, I agree - and we definitely need to improve that. For the moment, I set up both - the 3ds Max output to write JPG images which I also use for quick previews, and the V-Ray output for multichannel OpenEXR files to actually use later on. The 3ds Max check for existing images kicks in early when a JPG file for a frame is present and avoids all that preparation time.
      I was using the Vray one, as I had some temporal denoising to do. I did not know you could export jpgs and EXRs at the same time - thought it might cause issues with elements etc.

I'm no coder, but can't you just code it like this:

Code:
      10 REM CHECKING FOR EXISTING FRAMES

20 ALL OF VRAY
      It's been requested before, but that's a whole host of other issues on top of everything else

Hah! - well, I suppose it does make sense as a product line for Chaos, especially if you were able to incorporate it, VFB2 and the denoiser into a sweet post production package.
      http://www.jd3d.co.uk - Vray Mentor

Comment

Originally posted by JD3D_CGI View Post
        I'm no coder, but can't you just code it like this:...
        Yes, of course this is how it should be done; it's a little more complicated as V-Ray doesn't know what will be final file name until it tries to create it. It's doable though, we just need to shuffle some code around.

Best regards,
        Vlado

I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Working...
        X