Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reflective caustics?

Hi.

I'm trying to match the reflected light (circled in green) in the photo attached. It is not showing up in the rendered version. Reflected caustics is turned on. I tried using actual caustics but it didn't seem to change anything either. I've even tried putting a mirror surface there but it still doesn't show up.
    Any ideas as to what could be causing this to fail?

Justin

Would it be possible to send the scene file to support@chaosgroup.com so we can check it here?
    Kristina Georgieva
    Technical Support
    support@chaosgroup.com
    Chaos Group

Comment

Sent 5 days ago. Any update on this?

Comment

Hi Justin,

Apologies for the delay in reply!

Please enable the Caustics in the GI tab and move the sun target more or less here:
        http://ftp.chaosgroup.com/support/20...6_15-13-42.png
        The Photon emit radius value should be edited too (for example 10000mm starts showing some results on the wall).

This is the result I get after editing the mentioned above settings:
        http://ftp.chaosgroup.com/support/20...6_15-24-50.png

*You can use the Caustics multiplier to make the reflections more pronounced

Please let me know in case you have additional questions.
        Kristina Georgieva
        Technical Support
        support@chaosgroup.com
        Chaos Group

Comment

Originally posted by Kristina.Georgieva View Post
          Hi Justin,

Apologies for the delay in reply!

Please enable the Caustics in the GI tab and move the sun target more or less here:
          http://ftp.chaosgroup.com/support/20...6_15-13-42.png
          The Photon emit radius value should be edited too (for example 10000mm starts showing some results on the wall).

This is the result I get after editing the mentioned above settings:
          http://ftp.chaosgroup.com/support/20...6_15-24-50.png

*You can use the Caustics multiplier to make the reflections more pronounced

Please let me know in case you have additional questions.
          Thanks Kristina!

It seems to be working for me according to your directions.

One question though. Does the photon map have to be calculated for each frame of the animation (moving camera only)?

Comment

Originally posted by justini View Post

Thanks Kristina!

It seems to be working for me according to your directions.

One question though. Does the photon map have to be calculated for each frame of the animation (moving camera only)?
            you can save the calculated map out, and set the mode to "from file" instead of "new map", just look under the caustics tab...
            www.DanielBuck.net - www.My46Willys.com - www.33Chevy.net - www.DNSFail.com

Comment

Originally posted by Buck View Post

you can save the calculated map out, and set the mode to "from file" instead of "new map", just look under the caustics tab...
              Yes I'm aware of that mode. So does this mean that the caustics are computed for the scene, not just for the camera?

Comment

If you don't move the sun's position it should be fine with a saved photon map.
                If it was that easy, it would have already been done

Peter Matanov
                Chaos

Comment

So does vray have to reload the caustics map for each subsequent frame? I'm finding the file size is between 12-15Gb for a decent quality caustics solution. The load time is significant.

Comment

Yes. 15 GB sounds unnecessary large. I'll ask the support to check the scene.
                    If it was that easy, it would have already been done

Peter Matanov
                    Chaos

Comment

does anyone still uses caustics ?...it is such a pain to config, and slow...

Comment

Originally posted by slizer View Post
                        Yes. 15 GB sounds unnecessary large. I'll ask the support to check the scene.
                        For a clean solution I had to increase the sun's caustics subdivs to 15000. This increases the file size significantly.

Comment

Originally posted by muoto View Post
                          You're right. It is a pain. And quite un-intuitive. Vlado did mention something in this post about making caustics a bit easier for update 2. Hope they work on making it faster too.

https://forums.chaosgroup.com/forum/...-vred-caustics

Comment

Originally posted by muoto View Post
                            It can take a few minutes to pre-calculate, but it's not really much of a pain to setup. I usually run it as a separate pass, so that if I need to adjust it I don't need to re-render the entire scene again.
                            www.DanielBuck.net - www.My46Willys.com - www.33Chevy.net - www.DNSFail.com

Comment

I would suggest using this workaround to create caustics without the need for high settings
                              https://youtu.be/F2c8cSArXnM
                              Also I usually just duplicated caustics pass in post to get more details in there without increasing rendertime so give that a try too.

-------------------------------------------------------------
                              Simply, I love to put pixels together! Sounds easy right : ))
                              Sketchbook-1 /Sketchbook-2 / Behance / Facebook

Comment

Working...
                              X