VRay crash while debugging separate plugin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VRay crash while debugging separate plugin

I've been having an issue for months, where VRay will crash while I'm stepping through unrelated code for my own plugin (with VS2017), forcing me to restart max.

I have no idea why VRay is crashing, but my guess is that it's trying to do some kind of licensing phone-home, and the time it takes me to step through my breakpoints is causing some kind of unhandled internal timeout or something. Either way, it happens at random and is unrecoverable, thus quite annoying. It only happens after I've paused on a breakpoint for a while, then hit 'Continue' to resume 3dsmax execution....suddenly VRay will post the error and I have to kill max and restart.

Attached are screenshots of the errors I get.
    Attached Files

Hello,

Can you get me a crash dump when that happens ?

Best regards,
    Yavor
    Yavor Rubenov
    V-Ray for 3ds Max developer

Comment

From 3dsmax? It hard-crashes when this happens and doesn't give the opportunity to generate the crash dump.

Not sure how to generate a crash dump from VS...

Comment

One option would be - when the exception happens and you are inside VS - in the Debug menu there is an option "Save Dump As". It should generate a dump file but I often get errors and then the dump file can't be opened..

Another option - if you detach from Max after the exception - Max should continue to its crash dump handler and create a 3dsmax_minidump.dmp in your temp folder.
        Yavor Rubenov

Comment

Originally posted by yavor.rubenov View Post
          Another option - if you detach from Max after the exception - Max should continue to its crash dump handler and create a 3dsmax_minidump.dmp in your temp folder.
          Nah, that's what I meant by hard-crash above...when I detach, it crashes immediately to the desktop without Max intercepting and giving the option to dump.

I'll try the 'save dump as' from VS next time I come across it.

Comment

Sorry for the extremely long delay, finally got a minidump of a vray crash during debugging of my plugin. Attached is the dump.
            Attached Files

Comment

This specific crash is fixed in V-Ray Next but 3.6 still has it.
              Yavor Rubenov

Comment

Thank you yavor, glad to know it's fixed in Next

Comment

Working...
                X