vRay Next rendering old vRay 3.X scenes differently

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vRay Next rendering old vRay 3.X scenes differently

We are finding many scenes from vRay 3.X projects are rendering differently when we open them and render using vRay Next !
    Looking at some of the threads it seems to be an issue with the Standard materials not being supported.
    This is very dissappointing, ..will support for standard materials be added soon? (we really need to be able to replicate EXACTLY the output from old projects!)
    As a temporary fix it would be good to have the option to select the old vRay 3.x in our list of available renderers, ..but this is not available.
    Can vRay 3.x be reinstalled without interfering with the vRay Next instillation?

Also, if anyone know of some basic setting that can be set to help get our vRay Next renders to look like our old v3.X outputs, please let me know.
    Thanks

Regards
    Jesper Pedersen
    www.pedersenfocus.ie

Originally posted by pedersenfocus View Post
    We are finding many scenes from vRay 3.X projects are rendering differently when we open them and render using vRay Next !
    Looking at some of the threads it seems to be an issue with the Standard materials not being supported.
    This is very dissappointing, ..will support for standard materials be added soon? (we really need to be able to replicate EXACTLY the output from old projects!)
    As a temporary fix it would be good to have the option to select the old vRay 3.x in our list of available renderers, ..but this is not available.
    Can vRay 3.x be reinstalled without interfering with the vRay Next instillation?

Also, if anyone know of some basic setting that can be set to help get our vRay Next renders to look like our old v3.X outputs, please let me know.
    Thanks

Regards
    Jesper Pedersen
    www.pedersenfocus.ie
    Why anybody is still using standard materials, which are known to cause ANY kind of weird problem, is beyond me.
    https://www.behance.net/Oliver_Kossatz

Comment

Hi Kosso,
      Thanks for the helpful response. We're a 3d visualisation studio and we get 3d models in from any number of different clients using different software packages, so it's often convenient to just update the main materials and ignore perhaps 20 other Standard materials which perhaps are not directly visible in our views, ..so it's not that we are applying Standard materials, but they often import like this from other non-3dsMax software.

Regards
      Jesper Pedersen
      www.pedersenfocus.ie

Comment

Originally posted by pedersenfocus View Post
        Hi Kosso,
        Thanks for the helpful response. We're a 3d visualisation studio and we get 3d models in from any number of different clients using different software packages, so it's often convenient to just update the main materials and ignore perhaps 20 other Standard materials which perhaps are not directly visible in our views, ..so it's not that we are applying Standard materials, but they often import like this from other non-3dsMax software.

Regards
        Jesper Pedersen
        www.pedersenfocus.ie
        Even if these materials are not directly visible, they might still cause errors. I remember we had a problem with some neon green GI spill, which as we found out was caused by multiple objects having standard materials assigned. None of these were visible in the scene, yet the error occured. There is a reason why V-Ray states this as a warning: "Standard materials and lights may shade incorrectly".
        If you don't have the time to reassign V-Ray materials (a task which plays a big role in our dataprep), at least try to run the V-Ray scene converter.
        In a scene with standard materials, I wouldn't guarantee for anything...
        https://www.behance.net/Oliver_Kossatz

Comment

Hi Kosso,
          OK, thanks. I appreciate the tip!

Regards
          Jesper Pedersen
          www.pedersenfocus.ie

Comment

Looks like an exposure thing. Can you adjust settings to get images to render the same? I understand the reason why us use the standard mats, but the due cause issues. Sometimes crashes, so we always wipe the out.
            Vincent Jaramillo
            Smithgroup
            301 Battery Street
            San Francisco, Ca 94111

Comment

Mind that in 3.x there was a bug when you have Physical Exposure + exposure from a camera - they were mixed together. In Next, if you have camera exposure, it will be the only thing that affects the render (the exposure settings in the Env&Effects panel will be ignored when you look through the camera).
              If it was that easy, it would have already been done

Peter Matanov
              Chaos

Comment

It indeed looks like Exposure, and matanov explains why that is.
                Standard materials, what kosso_olli said: use the V-Ray scene converter (on the right-mouse menus), and you'll be fine.
                Particularly when merging stuff from varied sources, the scene converter offers the basic data-prep functionalities which will help avoiding issues down the line (although this isn't what's at play here, i'd wager.).
                Lele
                Trouble Stirrer in RnD @ Chaos
                ----------------------
                emanuele.lecchi@chaos.com

Disclaimer:
                The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

Hi Lele / Peter / Vincent,
                  Thanks for the help, yes, we're coming to the same conclusion: We need to keep our vRay3.6 / 3dsMax2016 projects separate from all new projects which will be vRay Next on 3dsMax 2019 ...problem solved for now, though I expect we'll run into problems down the line!

Regards
                  Jesper Pedersen
                  www.pedersenfocus.ie

Comment

Not necessarily: you'll see exposure is one of the very few instances where there are noticeable differences (purely because the 3.x version wasn't right. And it's a very easy fix in Next.).
                    Next has been built with two things as main targets: compatibility with the 3.x line, and performance where compatibility wasn't necessary.
                    You'll come to love the Adaptive dome, and the myriad new features which will shave huge chunks off your rendertimes.
                    But you won't need to turn them on to render a 3.x-authored file with next and obtain the same results of 3.x.
                    In fact, keep reporting anything which doesn't behave as it should, if at all possible.
                    Lele
                    Trouble Stirrer in RnD @ Chaos
                    ----------------------
                    emanuele.lecchi@chaos.com

Disclaimer:
                    The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

Working...
                    X