VraySky and exposure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VraySky and exposure

Hello, havent used vraysun/sky for a little while. Started to use on a new project today.
    The light emitting from the sky doesn't change when I change the camera exposure.
    Is this actually correct and Ive missed some fundamental change or is this a bug?
    Or am I going insane?

This is on 3.60.01

Test below, seems really odd ?? one of these is 5 EV one is 10 EV, even I go to -100 EV its the same.

Should note that, if the camera is pointing towards the sky, the pixel values of the sky DO change, its just the light emitting that does not.

Am I an idiot and missing something obvious?

You have to enable it and you have to start a render first, go back to it and apply it to a camera.
    Bobby Parker
    www.bobby-parker.com
    e-mail: info@bobby-parker.com
    phone: 2188206812

My current hardware setup:
    • Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
    • 128gb Vengeance RGB Pro RAM
    • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090
    • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

It is enabled already.
      Exposure is affecting everything else in the scene, just not the light contribution from the sky

Comment

Turn the sun and sky off, and re-render. It should be completely black. If not, there's another source of illumination, like a light, background, or other override.

Comment

Yep confirmed.
          Just to be clear this is a fresh scene, with only a box, a camera and a vraysky

Comment

In fact this is the scene
            Attached Files

Comment

Did you try with V-Ray exposure, rather than max/mR's one?
              Lele
              Trouble Stirrer in RnD @ Chaos
              ----------------------
              emanuele.lecchi@chaos.com

Disclaimer:
              The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

If you mean this one - then yes - no effect
                Attached Files

Comment

Hi,

We have made some tests using your scene. We have a similar issue reported into our bug tracker. When V-Ray Sky ( or other texture ) used in environment, I assume there is a limit for the GI rays using higher exposure values ( higher ISO ).
                  As a workaround you can disable the Max ray intensity. http://ftp.chaosgroup.com/support/sc...0_16-16-28.jpg. We will notify you, when there is any progress with the issue.
                  Last edited by Martin.Minev; 20-03-2019, 07:22 AM.
                  Martin Minev | chaos.com
                  Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Thankyou Martin
                    Thanks for putting me out of my misery
                    At least I know Im not going mad.

I guess disabling the MRI introduces too many other potential problems, in which case it's better to just shove the sky in a domelight.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin.Minev View Post
                      Hi,

We have made some tests using your scene. We have a similar issue reported into our bug tracker. When V-Ray Sky ( or other texture ) used in environment, I assume there is a limit for the GI rays using higher exposure values ( higher ISO ).
                      As a workaround you can disable the Max ray intensity. http://ftp.chaosgroup.com/support/sc...0_16-16-28.jpg. We will notify you, when there is any progress with the issue.
                      You can also just increase the max ray intensity to a higher value as well (~50-100). Additionally, it seems a bit odd that you had specified the vraysky to have an intensity multiplier of around 44 in your sample file which was further impacting the limit on the ray intensity. Unchecking the "specify Sun Node" resets the sun system back to normal and when used with EV of 5 and 10 you definitely will notice a difference even with the max ray set to 20 . There is still a bug that if you go too low with the EV (say below 5) the scene doesn't change and this is where adjusting the Max ray intensity will come into play.
                      www.dpict3d.com - "That's a very nice rendering, Dave. I think you've improved a great deal." - HAL9000... At least I have one fan.

Comment

To be honest I was just trying to get something to happen, so was trying all sorts of crazy numbers. In the production scene, the sky is at a sensible 1

Comment

Originally posted by AlexP View Post
                          To be honest I was just trying to get something to happen, so was trying all sorts of crazy numbers. In the production scene, the sky is at a sensible 1
                          It's weird then that it didn't work for you at 1. It works just fine for me with EV's of 5 or 10.

www.dpict3d.com - "That's a very nice rendering, Dave. I think you've improved a great deal." - HAL9000... At least I have one fan.

Comment

Originally posted by dlparisi View Post
                            It's weird then that it didn't work for you at 1. It works just fine for me with EV's of 5 or 10.
                            Possibly down to the high iso numbers as Martin mentions, as I had DOF on with probably a low F number.
                            I'll do an experiment or two in the main scene.

Comment

Working...
                            X