Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vray Next GPU + Render Mask [Layer] = Not saving rendered files, they are blank images.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vray Next GPU + Render Mask [Layer] = Not saving rendered files, they are blank images.

Hi

I am trying to render using the VRay Render Mask set to Layer. The VFB updates perfectly during rendering but the file sequence that is saved are all empty 32bit PNG's.

Any ideas?

If I select None for Render Mask it saves the rendered images fine but that is not what I need here.

I also clear the Vray FB before starting this process as I just want one layer rendered with scene reflections captured in the layer object materials.

Thanks

VRay Next GPU, Update 1.1, Max 2019

Just an update, the only way I can get the animation to save to files is using the "Vray Raw Image File" option to save. The normal "Render Output - Save File" does not save renders that use a Render Mask.

Comment

Stuck again.

The docs say I can set Vray to clear previous render (when animating with Render Mask) so that I do not get a kaleidoscope effect but where is it?, been through every single panel and just can not see that option under VRay CPU or GPU.

Scroll to bottom of the help page here: https://docs.chaosgroup.com/display/...th+Render+Mask
      The docs say: "When rendering animation with Render Mask, the previous render can be cleared by going to the Render Setup window > Settings > System rollout and setting the Previous parameter to €œClear€"
      Where is that setting? It is missing?

Last edited by D3Pixel; 21-03-2019, 12:11 PM.

Comment

You would need to switch to advanced or expert mode for that to be exposed. It's then top right in the system tab
        https://www.behance.net/bartgelin

Comment

Cheers

Half way there as I can see that is now exposed when rendering engine is CPU.

What about GPU? This job is a Vray Next GPU render and uses the Render Mask. No System Tab, No option to clear previous.

Comment

Hello,

Thanks for the pointer - I managed to reproduce the issue with saving from the "Render Output". Will log this bug in our system.

As for the option to clear the frame buffer - it is indeed not present in V-Ray GPU. We have this logged in the system but unfortunately it is not fixed yet.

Sorry for the troubles.

Best regards,
            Yavor
            Yavor Rubenov
            V-Ray for 3ds Max developer

Comment

I have given up and just done done this part using VRay CPU and will colour match it all in post.

So to recap this experience.

VRay GPU does not support saving animation files if you use the Render Mask
              VRay GPU has no option to clear previous making it a useless option for animation

VRay CPU supports Render Mask and saving to files as you would expect
              VRay CPU Render Mask set to Layers does not work, it still wants you to select objects.even if you have chosen next to it which layer to render.
              VRay CPU can render a single masked image in 20 seconds on a 4770K vs Vray GPU which takes 2 minutes using 2 x 1080 Ti's

Comment

Originally posted by D3Pixel View Post
                VRay CPU Render Mask set to Layers does not work, it still wants you to select objects.even if you have chosen next to it which layer to render.
                On a simple test this seems to work - can you elaborate a bit more ?
                Yavor Rubenov

Comment

Originally posted by yavor.rubenov View Post

On a simple test this seems to work - can you elaborate a bit more ?
                  Hi

I selected a Layer from the popup window after clicking the "Layers..." button but when I tried to render it showed a dialog that said "An object must be selected" and aborted. I double clicked the layer in the Layer Explorer to select those objects and then it worked but that is the same as "Selection" for Render Mask.
                  My layer did include a few objects that had the object properties "Renderable" deselected so not sure if that was a factor. I will re-test this on Monday to see if I can reproduce this one.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by yavor.rubenov View Post
                    Hello,

Thanks for the pointer - I managed to reproduce the issue with saving from the "Render Output". Will log this bug in our system.

Sorry for the troubles.

Best regards,
                    Yavor
                    Hi Yavor

Have these been fixed at all?

>> VRay GPU does not support saving animation files if you use the Render Mask
                    >> VRay GPU has no option to clear previous making it a useless option for animation

Thanks

Comment

The first one - not saving animations when using the Max output is fixed in the nightlies already. The other one is not.
                      Yavor Rubenov

Comment

Ok thanks for replying Yavor,

Is there a pre-render MaxScript command that I could use to set a global "Clear Previous" if it is just missing the UI element or is it more complex than that?

Thanks

Comment

Unfortunately there's also a bug related to the clearing that prevents it for progressive rendering. I'll have to test it with bucket actually - it might work.
                          Yavor Rubenov

Comment

Ok. Fingers crossed when you find a solution, good luck.

Comment

Hmm I found kind of a solution but it is not very user friendly
                              You need to:
                              1. Set your scene to use GPU buckets. It won't work with progressive.
                              2. Select the geometries you want to render selected
                              3. Export the animation to a vrscene file
                              4. Edit the vrscene file itself - in it you need to find the output settings. They will look something like this:
                                Code:
                                	SettingsOutput output_settings {
                                	  img_width=640;
                                	  img_height=480;
                                	  img_pixelAspect=1;
                                	  img_file="test_1_.png";
                                	  img_dir="C:\Users\Yavor Rubenov\Documents\3dsMax\renderoutput\";
                                	  img_file_needFrameNumber=1;
                                	  anim_start=0;
                                	  anim_end=5;
                                	  frame_start=0;
                                	  frames_per_second=1;
                                	  frames=List(
                                	      List(0, 5)
                                	    );
                                	}
                                and you need to add a new line "img_clearMode=5;" to it so you will get something like this:
                                Code:
                                SettingsOutput output_settings {
                                	  img_width=640;
                                	  img_height=480;
                                	  img_pixelAspect=1;
                                	  img_file="test_1_.png";
                                	  img_dir="C:\Users\Yavor Rubenov\Documents\3dsMax\renderoutput\";
                                	  img_file_needFrameNumber=1;
                                	  anim_start=0;
                                	  anim_end=5;
                                	  frame_start=0;
                                	  frames_per_second=1;
                                	  frames=List(
                                	      List(0, 5)
                                	    );    
                                	  img_clearMode=5;
                                	}
                              5. Render the scene in V-Ray Standalone - with a command like this
                                Code:
                                "C:\Program Files\Chaos Group\V-Ray\3ds Max 2019\bin\vray"  -sceneFile=D:\path_to_scene\exported_file.vrscene

In this way you can also use the Max output - it will work too.

As I said - that's not very usable so we'll try to fix it to work directly in Max soon.
                              Yavor Rubenov

Comment

Working...
                              X