Next IPR brings my powerful computer to its knees

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Next IPR brings my powerful computer to its knees

I'm wondering if there is some setting I'm missing. When I use Next IPR it brings my computer to its knees. And I have a pretty powerful machine (see my signature). I'm not at all experiencing the joy of IPR previewing that was advertised for Next. Don't get me wrong, I love Vray. But my machine becomes completely unusable if I'm running a 600x600 IPR frame of even the simplest of scenes.

I've tried changing the 'Affinity' of Max in Task Manager but it always flips back to using all processors no matter how many I turn off. I'm not able to derive any benefit from IPR as it's just crippling.

Any suggestions for settings I can check for to try to get IPR to the point that it's helpful?
    Last edited by RobH22; 22-03-2019, 08:16 PM.
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    V-Ray 6.20.06, 3ds Max (3D Studio thru Max 2025), GIGABYTE X570 AORUS Master Motherboard, Ryzen 9 3950x CPU, Noctua NH-D15S CPU Cooler, 128 GB G.SKILL Trident Z Neo DDR4 Ram, NVidia RTX 4090, Space Pilot Pro, Windows 11, Tri-Monitor, Cintiq 13HD
    -----------------------------------------
    Autodesk Expert Elite Member

Do you mean you can't multi-task while the image is processing? Hmmm... that stopped happening to me a while back. For me, I had to turn off Volume Shadow Copy or my machine would crawl every 30 seconds. That's not a V-Ray thing and I haven't heard of anyone else having to do this, but watch your Task Manager and see if it is popping up every 30 seconds.
    Bobby Parker
    www.bobby-parker.com
    e-mail: info@bobby-parker.com
    phone: 2188206812

My current hardware setup:
    • Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
    • 128gb Vengeance RGB Pro RAM
    • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090
    • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

Hi Bobby, yes, that's exactly what I mean.

I turned Volume Shadow Copy off once before to diagnose another unrelated issue and it completely nuked my backup software that images my machine once a day. However, I'll disable it now for a few minutes and test to see if that's it. I'll report back in case it helps others.

I hope I can find some other bottleneck should disabling VSC solve it. I can't disable that.

Off topic, how do you like the Titan RTX?
      V-Ray 6.20.06, 3ds Max (3D Studio thru Max 2025), GIGABYTE X570 AORUS Master Motherboard, Ryzen 9 3950x CPU, Noctua NH-D15S CPU Cooler, 128 GB G.SKILL Trident Z Neo DDR4 Ram, NVidia RTX 4090, Space Pilot Pro, Windows 11, Tri-Monitor, Cintiq 13HD

Comment

Originally posted by RobH22 View Post

Off topic, how do you like the Titan RTX?
        Interested as well, I've been thinking of two RTX 2080s linked to get 22 GB but double the cores as the same price as the Titan RTX.

Comment

Yes, Volume Shadow Copy Allows files to be used while backing them up, which causes havoc with Carbonite, but I have no choice.
          Bobby Parker
          www.bobby-parker.com

• Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
          • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Nicinus View Post

Interested as well, I've been thinking of two RTX 2080s linked to get 22 GB but double the cores as the same price as the Titan RTX.
            Mine arrives Monday. I only have the power connectors for one large card, so two large cards wasn't an easy option. I might be building a new machine later this year, so I might get a second Titan RTX; we'll see.
            Bobby Parker
            www.bobby-parker.com

• Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
            • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

If it's common knowledge that VSS impacts V-Ray's IPR functionality I hope Chaos Group can find a way around that. Turning off critical Operating System functionality to run a program is a terrible solution. Maybe someone else will have found a better configuration I can try.

Last comment about the Titan before we are asked to move it to it's own proper thread, I've been using a Quadro K5200 for about 3-years and am looking for my next GPU. I'm looking at the Titan cards. Was curious why you chose it specifically.

Comment

It is supposed to be the best card available. It’s pricey, but it should pay for itself within a month or two. With two of them, and VRAM, there won’t be much I can’t through at it. There is a 48GB card and it’s twice the cost, so the Titan is scalable. The Quadro’s are supposed to be goood for viewport performance, but the GForce is supposed to be better for rendering.
                Last edited by glorybound; 24-03-2019, 09:23 AM.
                Bobby Parker
                www.bobby-parker.com

• Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
                • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

Next IPR is still crippling my machine. When I use it, I can barely get the mouse to move up to 'stop' the render. I go to 'Task Manager' and turn off 5 or 6 processor threads and then just get re-enabled. There used to be a setting in the 'Render Setup' that set 'Low' CPU or something but that's gone.

I love IPR but it brings my machine to its knees. I can't even check email while I wait for rendering to progress.

This same thing occurred with my Quadro K5200 card and my new RTX 2080 Ti. It's not the video adapter's fault, it's V-Ray's aggressiveness. We need some way to limit it or else IPR is not a feature that is beneficial as it makes the production workflow worse instead of better.

Comment

Hi Moderator, I have no idea why this is in 'Licencing', it should be in 'Max Problems'. Can you move it for me? I didn't start it in 'Licencing'.

Comment

Hello,

You can use the following MAXScript to make V-Ray not use all cores:
                      Code:
                      renderers.current.system_numThreads=sysinfo.cpucount-2
                      This will tell V-Ray to use 2 threads less (by default V-Ray IPR uses one thread less).

Best regards,
                      Yavor
                      Yavor Rubenov
                      V-Ray for 3ds Max developer

Comment

Originally posted by yavor.rubenov View Post
                        Hello,

You can use the following MAXScript to make V-Ray not use all cores:
                        Code:
                        renderers.current.system_numThreads=sysinfo.cpucount-2
                        This will tell V-Ray to use 2 threads less (by default V-Ray IPR uses one thread less).

Best regards,
                        Yavor
                        Sorry for the late reply. This is a handy piece of code. Thanks for it.

Comment

Working...
                        X