Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vray GPU Crashing 3ds Max

Hi everyone,

I'm rendering out an animation using Vray GPU. A fairly simple animation, one rotating object with one HDRI dome light. Rendering out at 1920x1080. My system specs are 1080ti with a 2700x and 32GB of system RAM.

It'll render out a random number of frames and then crash. The object is pretty dense at 2 million or so polys. Could this be what is causing the crash? Or could there be something else.

Thank you.

Hi,

Can you give us a copy of this scene/project to test it here ? You can send a download link to support@chaosgroup.com or request FTP (Chaos server) access on the same mail. Please add this thread as a reference as well.
    Tashko Zashev | chaos.com
    Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Hi Tashko,

Thank you for the response, I've emailed the scene as requested.

Cheers

Comment

I'm having a similar situation. I'm running a TitanRTX with 24GB on an HP Z820 with 64GB of system RAM. Next will render fine (albeit much slower), while NextGPU will render a single frame, but will crash on the next frame.
        "Follow your bliss and the universe will open doors where there were only walls." ~ Joseph Campbell

Comment

Originally posted by yeoldewolfe View Post
          Hi Tashko,

Thank you for the response, I've emailed the scene as requested.

Cheers
          Thanks! I'm testing now and for about 20 frames, no issues so far. Do you have the V-Ray log (vraylog.txt) for this crash? Do you have some tips which will help us to reproduce? Specific frame range for an example or number of frames we need to render ? I see you are on V-Ray Next 4.10.02, and I'm using this version for the tests too.
          The mesh is not animated and only the camera is moving in the scene, right ?
          I'll leave it render till the end of the day and see what will happen.

Comment

Originally posted by TeaspoonVFX View Post
            I'm having a similar situation. I'm running a TitanRTX with 24GB on an HP Z820 with 64GB of system RAM. Next will render fine (albeit much slower), while NextGPU will render a single frame, but will crash on the next frame.
            If this can be constantly reproduced at your side, then we will definitely need to check out the scene file. Can you send it to support@chaosgroup.com ?

Comment

Hi Tashko.

Its actually the mesh that is being rotated, not the camera. The time frame I have is a 20 second animation at 30 FPS. So total frames should be 602. I'm saving the images out as vrimages (Open EXR) because I need the cryptomatte render element. How can I get the Vray Log file?

Cheers

Comment

The log is in the windows temp folder, named vraylog.txt You can access it from the explorer address bar using %temp%
                There should be also a crash dump file from V-Ray - vray.dmp Can you attach it here ?

Still no crash here, over 100 frames.

Comment

Hey Tashko, I cant attatch for some reason.

https://we.tl/t-ckY1foageV

Comment

Originally posted by tashko.zashev View Post

If this can be constantly reproduced at your side, then we will definitely need to check out the scene file. Can you send it to support@chaosgroup.com ?
                    Yes, Tashko -- I'll bundle this up for you and link it.

"Follow your bliss and the universe will open doors where there were only walls." ~ Joseph Campbell

Comment

Hey Tashko, I cant attatch for some reason.

https://we.tl/t-ckY1foageV
                      No crash here for 300 frames over the weekend, our developers are looking at the logs and dump files now. Hope there will be something useful.

Comment

Originally posted by TeaspoonVFX View Post

Yes, Tashko -- I'll bundle this up for you and link it.
                        Thank you! you can post the case number here (autoreply from our ticketing) when the mail is sent, so I can take it right away.

Comment

to yeoldewolfe,

Still no crashes with this animation project here, not much we can get from the logs too.
                          Do you get a driver (Nvidia) restart/crash when this issue occurs ? Driver error message ?Quick monitor blink ?
                          Can you try with progressive sampler mode ?

Comment

Hey Tashko,

No only 3Ds Max would crash. Ill try with progressive renderer tonight. Thank you for taking the time to trouble shoot this.

Cheers

Comment

Hey Tashko,

No only 3Ds Max would crash. Ill try with progressive renderer tonight. Thank you for taking the time to trouble shoot this.

Cheers
                              OK, thanks!. I sent you another setting you can try through the mail. It's to change one environment variable with greater value.

Comment

Working...
                              X