Light cache halting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Light cache halting?

Hi A client needs interiors done at 8000 pixels wide for a sign but the lightcache part of the lighting seems to be halting.

The original images done a 2044x 1363 were fine but I cant render at this higher resolution. The only change i've made is switching between .14 and .15 but I think this problem is from elsewhere

Sorry if this isnt a bug, its more likely my lack of understanding the settings, but does anyone know what could be halting/slowing the lightcache calc down in this case?

BTW: Max is only using 3-4% CPU power at the moment while trying to do this. ram issue? I have 2Gb but max is reporting as only using 600mb. I'm trying with dynamic memory now with no improvement

Disable the light cache preview ("The Show calc phase" option).

You probably have the bitmap pager turned on; since your output resolution is very high, 3dsmax stores most of the bitmap on disk. The light cache preview writes at random places on the output image, which puts a stress on your hard drives by constantly swapping parts of the image.

Alternatively, you can calculate the light cache at a lower resolution, save it, and load it from disk for the final rendering - the result will be the same.

Best regards,
    Vlado
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply Vlado!

I'll try these suggestions now.

Yep, this is working now. cpu usage 99%. Thanks again for the continueing excellent support Vlado

Comment

Working...
      X