Light Cache Stop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Light Cache Stop

I thought we got past this. I am getting huge LC est and I can't stop it. I hit stop, it looks like it'll stop, but it starts counting again. I have been trying to cancel for about 15 minutes, so I'll have to crash MAX. If there is anything I can do to avoid this, best practice, please let me know. NEXT 2 and MAX 2019.

Bobby Parker
    www.bobby-parker.com
    e-mail: info@bobby-parker.com
    phone: 2188206812

My current hardware setup:
    • Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
    • 128gb Vengeance RGB Pro RAM
    • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090
    • ​Windows 11 Pro

It was a Raytrace material in my scene. I was troubleshooting and the only thing that seems to brick my scene is raytrace and sure enough, it was a raytrace material. If you don't have it, the FixUtility script is a lifesaver. It is the only script I have found to help find raytrace materials with a click of a button.
    Bobby Parker
    www.bobby-parker.com

• Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
    • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

The V-Ray scene converter shipped with the standard V-Ray installer converts Raytrace materials without issue.
      Lele
      Trouble Stirrer in RnD @ Chaos
      ----------------------
      emanuele.lecchi@chaos.com

Disclaimer:
      The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

It doesn't work for me and never has. I convert all my scenes before I hit render. I think I remember a discussion about it not converting it when it is a multi-material or something like that. I'll make the scene simple and post it.
        Bobby Parker
        www.bobby-parker.com

• Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
        • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

An example will be very helpful - thanks!

Best regards,
          Vlado
          I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Originally posted by glorybound View Post
            It doesn't work for me and never has. I convert all my scenes before I hit render. I think I remember a discussion about it not converting it when it is a multi-material or something like that. I'll make the scene simple and post it.
            yes please, provide for a scene.
            I tested it before replying, and also looked at the code, which is no different than that of all the other shader types, so it's very puzzling it shouldn't work for you.
            Lele
            ----------------------

Disclaimer:
            The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

Here you go.

https://youtu.be/a2_Iwhu3eYs
              https://documentcloud.adobe.com/link...e-4963726ab7ac
              Bobby Parker
              www.bobby-parker.com

• Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
              • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

Bobby thanks for the file.
                I can't make sense of the shader setup, how did you "convert" it?
                Do you have a file with the converted shader?

I ask because those were raytrace maps, not materials, in places where they make no sense whatsoever (mixers in the diffuse color, or in the bump...), so it's not like the converter didn't work because of a bug, but rather because the logic for the setup cannot be figured out, and so there is no alternative to it.
                I think we should be popping boxes with warning when these things come up.

Pending the "fixed" scene, we may try and implement what worked for you, but a "1:1 conversion" of that shader isn't possible that i can see.
                Lele
                ----------------------

Disclaimer:

Comment

I sent the scene to someone, so they can do the landscape plane for me. They returned the file and that is when the problem started. I removed all their landscape stuff, the problem persisted, so I tracked the problem down to the wall material. The person had no reason to change the wall material, so I am not sure what happened.
                  Bobby Parker
                  www.bobby-parker.com

• Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
                  • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

Yeah, it has three raytrace maps in the bump slot, and in the diffuse one set as mixer map between a gray color (inside an empty CC map...) and black.
                    I am not sure this is a solvable issue: we could replace the map with a vraycolor, because it's not in one of the two places it categorically needs to be in (those being the specular, or opacity slot), but it becomes problematic to pick which color to assign to it.
                    Black would work if the map was alone, or if the operation it was subject to was a "plus" or a "minus" (you'll notice the wall shader uses v-ray composite textures), but it would need to be white if the operation was a division or multiplication.

I fear the only way out of this is manual labour.
                    We should still try and detect these cases to warn the user, i think.
                    Last edited by ^Lele^; 15-06-2019, 05:35 AM.
                    Lele
                    ----------------------

Disclaimer:

Comment

Working...
                    X