Can't apply symmetry to lights.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't apply symmetry to lights.

Is there some way to fix/work around the fact that the symmetry modifier won't work on lights? I am trying to mirror some complex objects peppered with small sphere lights, and have to do some considerable manual labor to manually insert lights on the other side. Info would be much appreciated!

You may use the 'Mirror' tool (Tools>Mirror) to do the same thing as the 'Symmetry' modifier.
    Aleksandar Hadzhiev | chaos.com
    Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Remember though that in that case the scale on the mirror axis will be negative.
      It used to cause issues (particularly with lights. And ofc Rigs.), but in max, on our side, that's now possible without penalty or oddity.
      Just a heads up, should something misbehave.
      Lele
      Trouble Stirrer in RnD @ Chaos
      ----------------------
      emanuele.lecchi@chaos.com

Disclaimer:
      The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

Totally, I have resorted to mirroring for this reason. However, it means deleting many extra lights after duplication, since often the mirror axis goes through a group of objects rather than next to it. That's why it would be great to try to get symmetry to work somehow.

Also, I heavily use the radial symmetry plugin of which there is no mirror equivalent (I realize it might be overreaching to try to get that to work, given that it isn't part of default Max, but there it is.).

Comment

Try the spacing tool for copying along paths and the array tool for radial stuff! The symmetry modifier is designed in max to work on geometry only alas!

Comment

Working...
          X