Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

3ds Max Glow Effect in Vray next........is it possible?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3ds Max Glow Effect in Vray next........is it possible?

I'm trying to get a specific material to glow with a halo. In the old days you could do this with the environment effects placing a glow effect and telling it to effect only certain material or object ID's. Then when Vray came out with their lens effects in the VFB you could do the same thing and use the ID's to control what was glowing. Now with Vray next, none of that seems to work. We don't have time to take things into post to create the effect. It needs to come out of the renders. I've tried every trick I know and can't get anything good. I'm not looking for photo realism, this is more about conveying information of what is casting light and what is receiving light in a scene.

Thanks in Advance!

Not sure without your exact use-case but a vray light mat with glare on full and whatever size you like will do the trick. If it's just a materail and not the entire object then just use the light with a mask for the same effect.
    Depending on what specifically needs to glow you may want to occlude whatever object it is with an offset clone to get an outline - other possibilities exist but this should not be any problem to achieve
    Post an example maybe?
    https://www.behance.net/bartgelin

Comment

I know what you're saying, but it used to be really easy to do this. Can't post what I'm working on, but here are a couple quick images that might explain what I'm trying to do.

First image, (A) is right out of vray, using vray light material. I actually had bloom on for this and it did nothing.

Second image, (B) has a glow all around it (halo). This is what I'm trying to do in vray.

This used to be possible with the 3ds max glow effect, but doesn't seem to work anymore. The previous version of Vray had the option in the VFB to select ID's when using Vray's built in lens effects. Not everything that glows needs to have this effect, which is why it's been hard to get certain objects to glow and others not to glow.

Currently using Vray next update 2.1 (4.20.01)

Comment

Here is a scene showing it working like your example.
        https://www.dropbox.com/s/9sr9tshubfx9b3r/glow.max?dl=0

It's just a matter of intensity and other tweaks

Comment

I think it has to do with your color mapping, don't apply reinhard burn to the render but only in the VFB, you need all the information for Lens Effects to work optimally. My color mapping settings are Reinhard, Burn value about 0.2. And mode set to None, don't apply anything. In the VFB enable the sRGB curve and I have my highlight burn at about 0.3 for this image. Then appy Lens Effects and play a bit with the settings.
          A.

---------------------
          www.digitaltwins.be

Comment

Originally posted by fixeighted View Post
            Here is a scene showing it working like your example.
            https://www.dropbox.com/s/9sr9tshubfx9b3r/glow.max?dl=0

It's just a matter of intensity and other tweaks
            Thanks, I couldn't open it, we are still running 2018. no worries though I think I'm starting to figure out what the problem is.

Comment

Originally posted by Vizioen View Post
              I think it has to do with your color mapping, don't apply reinhard burn to the render but only in the VFB, you need all the information for Lens Effects to work optimally. My color mapping settings are Reinhard, Burn value about 0.2. And mode set to None, don't apply anything. In the VFB enable the sRGB curve and I have my highlight burn at about 0.3 for this image. Then appy Lens Effects and play a bit with the settings.
              Did you create this using 3ds max lens effects or Vray lens effects? Mine seems to only work with the Vray effects some of the time. it's really weird. there must be some other setting causing issues.

I'm using reinhard with a burn of .35 and my mode is set to none with nothing applied. this seems to have no effect as changing these settings did nothing. However, I also am using physical caermas and physical camera exposure control, when I flipped back to a vray physical camera it worked, then going back to a regular physical camera it also worked. there doesn't seem to be any consistency. This was all using Vray Lens Effects in the VFB.

Going to try different exposure controls, cameras, and colormapping to see if it effects the 3ds max lens effects.

thanks for all the help!

Comment

Well I guess you'll need to establish first what you are going to use for your scene - camera and colour mapping - then adjust the lens effects to suit. It's then simpler to
                work out what settings you need to apply to create the effect. Otherwise you're complicating thing a bit much.
                For this effect all you'd really need is to get a light material, apply it, set the bloom to be really high and also the light material multiplier pretty high.
                Set the effect clamp to something above everything else other than the glowed items and you really should be good to go from there

Comment

Working...
                X