Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Render Issues

Hi All

I'm hoping someone might be able to help with an annoying issue I'm having.

I seem to be having a problem with one file/image that's one of three. The first two files have rendered out perfectly fine at 4960 x 3507px. The scene contains some displacement which works with Viz Park walls & tiles, also within the file is Forest Pack grass and trees.

The first problem I'm having is its just hanging before rendering, then I get the following message:

"Unhandled Exception Preparing ray server"

Based on this I have lowered some of the settings within Vray thinking its a memory issue, now the image renders out but a lot of the geometry is missing. I'd say 90% of the missing geometry has a displacement and subdivide modifier attached but some is just plain geometry.

Has anyone experienced this before? It's becoming increasingly frustrating as these images are needed asap.

I'm currently on Vray 3.70.01, Windows 7 64-bit, 32 GB RAM, Intel i7.

Any help would be much appreciated. I will try and grab a screenshot of the missing geometry.

Many thanks!

I would take a look into materials if i were you. In many cases this error occurs where there are many materials with normal maps. I suggest you to convert normal maps to vray normal maps.

Comment

Hello,

Both this problems lead me to think you are running out of RAM. In V-Ray 3.7 we had a bug (fixed in V-Ray Next) where in some cases when we failed to allocate enough memory for some Embree tree structures it just silently failed and the render continued with missing geometry. You could try to turn Embree off - then it will probably show the error instead of rendering.

You could try increasing the displacement edge length to save memory..

Best regards,
      Yavor
      Yavor Rubenov
      V-Ray for 3ds Max developer

Comment

Originally posted by Pixel_Domain View Post
        I would take a look into materials if i were you. In many cases this error occurs where there are many materials with normal maps. I suggest you to convert normal maps to vray normal maps.
        Yes I thought that too, but this image is one of three and the other two had no issues whatsoever. Thanks for the advice though.

Comment

Originally posted by yavor.rubenov View Post
          Hello,

Both this problems lead me to think you are running out of RAM. In V-Ray 3.7 we had a bug (fixed in V-Ray Next) where in some cases when we failed to allocate enough memory for some Embree tree structures it just silently failed and the render continued with missing geometry. You could try to turn Embree off - then it will probably show the error instead of rendering.

You could try increasing the displacement edge length to save memory..

Best regards,
          Yavor
          Hi Yavor

Many thanks for your response. That's exactly what was happening, I've never seen a render with geometry missing before. I turned off displacement in Global Switches and it rendered out fine. As alternative I turned back on Displacement in GS and increased the displacement edge length as you suggested and that also worked so many thanks for your suggestions!!!

Kind regards

Comment

Glad to hear it works now.
            Yavor Rubenov
            V-Ray for 3ds Max developer

Comment

Working...
            X