UVW Mapping ignored when displacement is in effect

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UVW Mapping ignored when displacement is in effect

Using the vray material displacement slot is having serious problems.

Viewport:

Scanline(no disp):

Vray with material displacement slot CHECKED, and global displacement ON:

Vray with material displacement slot UNCHECKED and global displacement
    ON:

Vray with material displacement slot CHECKED or UNCHECKED and global displacement OFF:

Note: I stumbled accross this while I was trying to use multiple UVW map mods to controll the mapping of a multi-sub material. If displacement is on (as I want it to be) then the UVW mapping is being ignored for the map in the displacement slot.

I'm not sure it is a bug; I think the problem is that you have too big polygons for the 3d displacement to handle effectively. Try to dice the geometry a little bit and see if it helps. If you wish, you can also send me the scene to look at to vlado@chaosgroup.com

Best regards,
    Vlado
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

I've tried really subdividing the surface, but its not solving the problem:

I'll try stripping down the scene to send to you

Comment

Are you using box mapping? I always use box mapping even on a flat plane in 99.9% of cases it avoids those face errors.
        Richard De Souza

www.themanoeuvre.com

Comment

I've been using planar mapping, but box mapping has the same result.

Comment

tried putting a meshsmooth modifier set to 0 before your displacement modifier in the stack?

"Sometimes life leaves a hundred dollar bill on your dresser, and you don't realize until later that it's because it fu**ed you."

Comment

Originally posted by percydaman
              tried putting a meshsmooth modifier set to 0 before your displacement modifier in the stack?
              Not using a displacement modifier. I'm using the vray mat displacement channel because of multi-sub mats.

Comment

Originally posted by vlado
                I'm not sure it is a bug; I think the problem is that you have too big polygons for the 3d displacement to handle effectively. Try to dice the geometry a little bit and see if it helps. If you wish, you can also send me the scene to look at to vlado@chaosgroup.com

Best regards,
                Vlado
                Scene file sent

Comment

It seems that the problem is in the noisy concrete displacement map; it has so much tiny detail, that the displacement cannot represent it properly without very high settings. It would be best if you use it just as a bump map for this material (Seeded Aggregate Concrete).

Best regards,
                  Vlado
                  I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Thanks for the info vlado!

Comment

Working...
                    X