V-Ray Next Update 2 and Scaling Issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• V-Ray Next Update 2 and Scaling Issues

I recently installed V-Ray Next Update 2 on 3ds max 2019 and 2020 and have noticed a rather weird scaling issue with V-Ray proxies. This scene was created in 3ds max 2019 using V-Ray Next update 1 and worked just fine. The project was put on hold for a while and we updated one of our workstations to V-Ray Next Update 2. When we loaded the functioning scene on the system with the newer V-Ray Next update, we discovered this weird scaling issue. Please note the attached images.

I uninstalled V-Ray Next update 2 and reinstalled update 1 and the scaling issue went away. I then tested this on a few other scenes which contained V-Ray Proxies and noticed a similar problem. The Proxies are scaled incorrectly between the two versions. This happens on 3ds max 2019 and 2020 (no other version to test). Has anybody experienced this issue? I would like to log it as a bug and have a test scene which I can provide to the Choas team if they want to look at it. I have tried to reproduce this from scratch, but I am having trouble isolating what causes this to occur. It has affected dozens of our scenes. Please advise.

You're not alone. We've experienced this too when upgrading.

Only the proxies that were created in a different unit scale and copy/paste into another unit scale did this happen after the fact when we updated from next to update 2.0.
    Some of your cars or trees may be in originally made in inches and your model could be in meters.

You may notice that the scale of the proxy in next update 2.0 may be something like 25 or 100 or something other than 1. Change it back to 1 and the proxy should be correct and even in the correct position.....maybe

we also noticed in this update proxy problem that when you use the bounding box mode after fixing the scale, the box is a very long way from the correct position but the preview faces is shown in the correct spot.

It's a pain so we just re-created the proxies where possible, and the rest we just accept the problem.

Comment

Well, when you have a ton of proxies to update, it can be a serious PITA. I will need to build a script to fix it.

Comment

You can just use zorb
        A.

---------------------
        www.digitaltwins.be

Comment

Hello,

Originally posted by WSP ProjectViz View Post
          I would like to log it as a bug and have a test scene which I can provide to the Choas team if they want to look at it.
          We would definitely like to take a look. Could you send a test scene to our support? If it is too big for email - they can arrange some FTP where you can upload the scene.

Best regards,
          Yavor

Yavor Rubenov
          V-Ray for 3ds Max developer

Comment

Certainly. I created a subset of this scene that is easy to send. I will do this shortly.

Comment

Thanks for the report and provided scene. This is a known issue, where the scale factor of VRayProxies does not affect the 'Bounding Box' preview mode. As a workaround, simply change the preview mode of your VRayProxies to another display mode until the issue is resolved. Additionally, I'll bump the priority of the issue.
              Aleksandar Hadzhiev | chaos.com
              Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Thanks for the information on the workaround, Aleksandar. I'm glad the defect is being looked at.

Comment

The fix should be in tomorrow's stable nightly build and of course in the upcoming Update 3.
                  If it was that easy, it would have already been done

Peter Matanov
                  Chaos

Comment

Would it be rude to ask when will Update 3 drop? About to upgrade the farm but been waiting for this release.

Comment

The plan is to go officially by the end of November.
                      If it was that easy, it would have already been done

Peter Matanov
                      Chaos

Comment

Ok, cool, couple of months. I'll give the current version a go.

Comment

Working...
                        X