Isometric (or near isometric) camera and VrayToon artifacts issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Isometric (or near isometric) camera and VrayToon artifacts issue

I am currently working on a job that is isometric-ish and using VrayToon to do a stylized look. In some shots I seem to be getting noise-like artifacts along the hidden edge of the geometry. It seems to be related to the flat FOV of the camera as the effect reduces and goes away the more the camera FOV increases to a normal lens. Is there any way around this? I've tried messing with all the vraytoon settings and secondary ray bias, noise thresholds... the lines are a bit thick at 4 pixel width, but that's the style that they like. In the screenshot attached i've zoomed in 200% to the render so you can see the artifacts more. In the composite, a color is being comp over the lines so the artifacts become even more apparent and when it's in motion. The noise almost goes away more when i turn AA to something a bit crazy like 3/100 witih .001 noise. The material is just a vralightmat set to black w/ no lights. When I turn off toon, the gears are completely black, no artifacts. We are using are 3ds Max 2020.2 and Vray 3.70.01
    Last edited by japetus; 10-10-2019, 10:35 AM.

Another screenshot with exposure turned way up...

Comment

The issue is related to how internal toon edges are calculated (it is indeed connected to the FOV in that regard) and it seems to be fixed in V-Ray NEXT. A workaround would be to use Max's Free/Target cameras with their orthographic projection turned on (without setting a low FOV) instead.
      Aleksandar Hadzhiev | chaos.com
      Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Working...
      X