Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Squares in environment fog

Hello,
    Does anyone know how to get rid of these squares in the light beam when using EnvironmentFog Fx?
    It is also a lot of grain.
    And it's so slow to render!
    Thanks

Up your minimum aa for starters, sometimes if there's something thin or blurry like heavy motion blur or shallow focus, vray will miss it with the first ray shot into a bucket and assume it's empty, leading to squares like this!

Comment

Thank you, but sorry I could not find the solution.
      I always get this empty boxes that move to another place if I change the render area for example.
      A bit better if I change to Catmull-Rom image filter

Comment

Comment

This is mentioned elsewhere and I have had this issue occur also, albeit not with fog but as joconnell mentioned, motion blur.
          If you increase the bucket size this can also help - looks like you have it at 12 or so, and that 'can' cause these issues afaik.
          https://www.behance.net/bartgelin

Comment

Hey, Romain_P,

Thank you for the post. Is there a chance to make a screenshot of your's Env. Fog setup and share it here? GI setup if you have it, too.

Cheers,
            Boyan Nalchadjiiski | QA Engineer @ Chaos |
            E-mail: boyan.nalchadjiiski@chaos.com

Comment

Originally posted by Romain_P View Post
              Hello,
              Does anyone know how to get rid of these squares in the light beam when using EnvironmentFog Fx?
              It is also a lot of grain.
              And it's so slow to render!
              Thanks
              Environment fog *is* slow to render, and noisy: it's a full-light-transport volume, not a cheap trick (f.e. like the traditional Max ones), and so it takes its time.
              Your issues, as mentioned, is due to it being very faint (remember you're in sRGB space, under a gamma curve) coupled with a low min AA, which makes it miss the detail, and not pass it on to the adaptive algorithm.
              So, set min AA subdivs to something higher (2-3-4), and the squares will be filled in.

For the noise, you have one option only, and that is to raise max subdivs, even a lot, to make sure you hit the noise threshold you set (the sampleRate render element will give you clues as to how the sampler is working: red means "raise max AA").

Of course, you could also denoise the fog element, but that's beyond the point.

Lele
              Trouble Stirrer in RnD @ Chaos
              ----------------------
              emanuele.lecchi@chaos.com

Disclaimer:
              The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

Now that's what I call an in-depth explanation Lele!
                Very useful info, thanks.
                https://www.behance.net/bartgelin

Comment

Thank you Lele for your wise.
                  I will try soon.
                  For now, subject to deadline, I had to trick it and applied a Camera Lens Blur to the fog layer to "remove" the noise.

Comment

Originally posted by Romain_P View Post
                    I had to trick it and applied a Camera Lens Blur to the fog layer to "remove" the noise.
                    I'd love to hear about the trick!
                    Where di you apply the lens blur in? Max? Post?
                    Lele
                    Trouble Stirrer in RnD @ Chaos
                    ----------------------
                    emanuele.lecchi@chaos.com

Disclaimer:
                    The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

Working...
                    X