xrefmaterial

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• xrefmaterial

does this feature work with vray? ive never used it before. i tried to point the xrefmaterial to a file with 6 spheres in, each has a vraymaterial assigned. it opens a list of the scene objects. i choose the sphere with the material on i want. i get "unresolved xref, object or material not found" and it defaults to the vraysun target in the "object" dropdown.

so nobody else has ever used this material either? - for my current job it would be really useful. a load of (really) complex models xreffed into a master scene, each one has the same 5 materials on it.

i have to keep all tweaks synchronised over multiple files, and when i want to adjust something, i have to open all the files. some of them take 5-10 minutes to open.

if i could just have all the xrefs using materials from a single master material scene,. id save hours.

Comment

just to note, i opened my material reference file, deleted the vray sun which was in there, and saved it. now its all working beautifully.

Comment

I use Xref Materials in near very project with Vray and for years gone by. I have had cases where it chooses the wrong object from the material scene. But as you have done, delete everything but your spheres and then there is nothing it can select incorrectly.

A tip would be to name your spheres/box the same as the material, as your selecting the object from the list, and using the material from that object.

Comment

I'm using xref materials from time to time. Sometimes I too get unresolved xref, but rarely. It was much more common with older versions of 3ds Max. I'm using the same technique as m_hinks .
          Aleksandar Mitov
          www.renarvisuals.com
          office@renarvisuals.com

3ds Max 2023.2.2 + Vray 6 Update 2.1
          AMD Ryzen 7950X 16-core
          64GB DDR5
          GeForce RTX 3090 24GB + GPU Driver 551.86

Comment

Working...
          X