Low Quality V-Ray Material Preview

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Low Quality V-Ray Material Preview

Why are the material preview spheres such low quality now? It makes it incredibly hard to fine tune glossiness when it's so noisy like that. Do I have a setting wrong?
    Attached Files

I find this, unfortunatelly, quite unfinished part of Vray 5.
    Not to mention the speed in slate mtl editor which is frustrating. Was so much hoping this woudl get fixed for final release.
    Endless blue spinning wheels, delays and all other ugly stuff too.

Is there a way how to revert to the old preview method please?

Cant find the post where it was mantioned.

One woudl have thought this woudl be a breeze on 3990X but i am having very disappointing experience here.
    Martin
    http://www.pixelbox.cz

Comment

Settings > System > Native 3ds Max Material Swatches checkbox. I was hoping I had some settings screwed up during the update but if this is how it's supposed to be that's pretty disappointing.

Comment

now that i ve really plugged Vray 5 into most of the projects i get little quirks all over the place
        thanks btw
        Martin

Comment

it doesnt work switching the native 3ds max swatches.
          tired restartin max too
          Martin

Comment

We've measured the swatches render times and they are not slower than any other renderer. If we raise the quality they will definitely become slower.

Martin, you need to update the swatches (rerender them) after you switch to native. It's a Max behavior to keep caches of the previous thumbnails and you have to update them manually.
            If it was that easy, it would have already been done

Peter Matanov
            Chaos

Comment

I am really gettgin quite terrible delays trying to work wiuth material though.
              In IPR it almostbecomes easier to turn it off and tweka the mat and rerun IPR.
              Simply deleting even empty mtl editor view and i get the blue spinning wheel...the mouse poiter gets pixelated, i have to wait 15-20 seconds and then i can work again.
              Sometimes every node i touch does this.
              Martin

Comment

needless to say slate material editor is crappy by itself lately, especially in 2021.1
                when i switch to regular mtl editor all is running well
                Martin

Comment

matanov are the shaderball render settings hard coded or are they based on your main vray render settings?

Comment

Yea, that's a a bit disappointing. I would revert to the old preview if I could since this one is almost unusable for materials with blurry reflections. The fact that the swatch rendering happens only on a single CPU thread doesn't help either. Can Chaos make the preview render on more than one thread? This should allow for much higher quality previews at better speeds, no?

BTW, I found a strange workaround for the problem, but it's quite cumbersome, and not really useful for everyday use. Right click on the material, click "Open Preview Window" and enlarge it. The more you enlarge the preview window, the more the preview quality of the small swatch at the top of the material increases.

Originally posted by PIXELBOX_SRO View Post
                    needless to say slate material editor is crappy by itself lately, especially in 2021.1
                    when i switch to regular mtl editor all is running well
                    What's wrong exactly? I still haven't updated to 2021.1.

Originally posted by joconnell View Post
                    matanov are the shaderball render settings hard coded or are they based on your main vray render settings?
                    How about separate render settings for the material swatches? Tying the materials preview quality to the render quality is not very convenient.
                    Last edited by Alex_M; 25-06-2020, 10:43 AM.
                    Aleksandar Mitov
                    www.renarvisuals.com
                    office@renarvisuals.com

3ds Max 2023.2.2 + Vray 6 Update 2.1
                    AMD Ryzen 7950X 16-core
                    64GB DDR5
                    GeForce RTX 3090 24GB + GPU Driver 551.86

Comment

There are a few solid niggles and apparently unavoidable limitations when working with the material editor (it's twenty-five years old tech, after all).
                      We're investigating ways around some of those, but it's not straightforward.
                      Lele
                      Trouble Stirrer in RnD @ Chaos
                      ----------------------
                      emanuele.lecchi@chaos.com

Disclaimer:
                      The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

One woudl have thought this woudl be a breeze on 3990X but i am having very disappointing experience here.
                        Since we have some complains about performance issues with that TR generation (still trying to find out if it's us or there are defective batches), can you please send us a pack of materials that are refreshing slow on your machine and a video demonstrating it? We will compare the performacne with our ThreadRippers.
                        If it was that easy, it would have already been done

Peter Matanov
                        Chaos

Comment

ok so i ve done some more testing...
                          installed newest nvidia studio driver and downgraded my WINDOWS 10 PRO 64 bit FOR WORKSTATIONS to regular WIN 10 PRO 64 bit.
                          So far the slate mtl editor is far better.
                          i will try upgrading back to WORKSTATION version of WIN to see if something changes again.
                          Martin

Comment

ok so i ve done some more testing...
                            installed newest nvidia studio driver and downgraded my WINDOWS 10 PRO 64 bit FOR WORKSTATIONS to regular WIN 10 PRO 64 bit.
                            So far the slate mtl editor is far better.
                            i will try upgrading back to WORKSTATION version of WIN to see if something changes again.
                            Wow. Thanks for the bother.
                            Lele
                            Trouble Stirrer in RnD @ Chaos
                            ----------------------
                            emanuele.lecchi@chaos.com

Disclaimer:
                            The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

Not at all, it was actually quite quick.
                              Not sure youre aware but upgrading/downgrading WIN to WS version takes only 10 seconds. I was actually very upset when i found out about this after i spent 600 bucks for the WIN upgrade.
                              What it does is that it only activates certain win features like SMP etc.
                              Martin

Comment

Working...
                              X