Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VRay 5 RGB and Original RGB

Hello,

In the previous version of VRay, if I used the denoiser render element in combination with the VFB exposure controls. I would end up with an RGB file and an original.RGB file. Both would have the same exposure controls applied which was great as they then matched. But the orginal.RGB would be without the denoiser render element. This meant I could blend between the denoised version and the original if the denoiser was a bit heavy.

However in VRay 5 the original.RGB file now removes any VFB exposure adjustments as well. So I am unable to blend just the noise between them, as they have different exposures.

Thanks,

Hello,

Now you can do that directly in the VFB - the denoiser has a blend amount parameter.

Best regards,
    Yavor
    Yavor Rubenov
    V-Ray for 3ds Max developer

Comment

Originally posted by yavor.rubenov View Post
      Hello,

Now you can do that directly in the VFB - the denoiser has a blend amount parameter.

Best regards,
      Yavor
      Thanks that could work, I guess I am just used to doing all the work in Post software afterwards and not inside the VFB

Comment

Yes, it's the same issue i reported some time ago... This is really not convenient and it limits the control we can have in post. The same happens with lens effects. Please revert to the old method, which gave more creative control.

Couldn't you guys bake the "color corrections" (everything except lensEffects and Denoise) on the RGB, and the effectsResult baking everything + lensEffects + Denoise?

Practical example: I have built several presets for vray5 with tonemapping, white balance, and exposure controls. I want these to be baked on the final render, regardless of whatever denoise or lens effects i might or might not add. Problem is, if i do add them later on, i can't split them. They are all going to be baked together:

RGB - final image
        effectsResult - final image + CC + denoise/lens effects

The way this used to work was very convenient and artist friendly:
        RGB - final image + CC
        effectsResult - final image + CC + denoise/lens effects

Right now the only solution (which i dislike a lot), is to use the vrayDenoiser / vrayLensEffects for Nuke, and not render it inside the VFB2. That's the only way for me to have the original control back in VFB1.

Comment

Could you elaborate a bit more on what more control you have in post with the old way - I'm not sure I understand the practical example.
          Yavor Rubenov

Comment

Because you could later adjust the blend amount outside if VRay. You didn’t have to commit to it in the VFB. This is especially good when you are comping VFX elements into live action as sometimes live action footage looks good with more or less noise in the CG to match the live action plate.

Comment

Originally posted by Joelaff View Post
              Because you could later adjust the blend amount outside if VRay. You didn’t have to commit to it in the VFB. This is especially good when you are comping VFX elements into live action as sometimes live action footage looks good with more or less noise in the CG to match the live action plate.
              Same for me as well. I would like to control the noise blend outside of VRay because some times the noise is too much or too little whilst working with an animation.

Comment

How would you blend it in post ? If I understand it correctly you would blend the RGB and effects result channel - for example 0.6*RGB + 0.4*effects result? If so wouldn't that give final image + CC + 0.4*denoiser which would be brighter than it should be?
                Yavor Rubenov

Comment

Now that the denoiser and effect controls have merged into one. I no longer have an original and a denoised version that both have effect controls applied. Previously I would just blend between the original and the denoised version in post since both images are exactly the same in regards to effect controls. But now if I try and blend, I am blending between original version and a denoised with effect controls.

Comment

I get what you are trying to achieve, by reducing post work and having more control inside the vfb to speed up workflow. But there are those who like to have more control in post, as not every frame can just have the same desnoiser blend applied throughout an animation. Some frames may require a 50% blend, other frames a 100% blend etc. I would keep the denoiser separate to the effect controls like before.

Comment

FYI in the Render Element tab you can select the denoiser element, go down to the advanced tab at the bottom, and under the "mode" dropdown select "show denoiser result channel." From my experience this gives you just the denoised pass without the adjustments or lens effects. Not sure if that helps or not.

Comment

Originally posted by braddewald View Post
                        FYI in the Render Element tab you can select the denoiser element, go down to the advanced tab at the bottom, and under the "mode" dropdown select "show denoiser result channel." From my experience this gives you just the denoised pass without the adjustments or lens effects. Not sure if that helps or not.
                        Thanks, but I am actually after the denoised pass with the adjustments applied. The issue is if I wish to blend between the denoised RGB and the original, both need to have all the adjustments applied

Comment

Originally posted by JamesCutler View Post

Thanks, but I am actually after the denoised pass with the adjustments applied. The issue is if I wish to blend between the denoised RGB and the original, both need to have all the adjustments applied
                          Just a simple extra for backup for post work. In VFX work, at least, everybody wants a post workflow. I may give my clients more than they ask for, but locally, we always fix it up in Fusion Studio first. Then they rarely actuality mess wit it, but it makes them feel happy that I gave them that option.

Comment

I ended up rendering with no lens effects for 3d tracking drone footage, we need the original rgb and the rgb colour then we should choose in nuke where to have glare etc.
                            ----------------------------------------------------
                            164 core mini rendering farm - RTX 3090
                            All with 128GB ram
                            Windows 11

3ds Max 2024 - vray - phoenix - forest pack

Comment

Working...
                            X