• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vray Assets load with (wrong) relative path and missing content

Hello,

I was testing now the new Vray Asset library
    - but the path is relative to "assets/...."
    I guess it should point instead to the main directory in "documents"?
    How to correct this?

- Also there are only preview images downloaded. So I'm a bit confused.
    For example Tiles\Tiles_L_Reflect_hires_srgb.tx does not exist there.

Attached screenshots

Thanks
    Attached Files

The path seems to be correct. Try adding the Material Library location to the External Files paths (Customize>Configure Project Paths>External Files) and see if that makes any difference.
    Aleksandar Hadzhiev | chaos.com
    Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Thanks, the path was there already, but I added the assets folder inside the Vray Materail Library to the path, too.
      Now it works.

But if I click in the asset browser on a material and choose "add to selected objects", it does not work.
      So I just "add to scene" and then assign the material manually.
      (Which works of course, but also to inform you that "add to selected objects" does not work.

Comment

Which works of course, but also to inform you that "add to selected objects" does not work
        Can you tell me which 3ds Max version is that? Can you reproduce that on a simple scene? Are the objects in a group?

Best regards,
        Vlado
        I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Hi,
          I am having the same issue with new Vray 5 hotfix 1 install on 3ds Max 2021, new asset library button also doesn't work- doesn't pop up the new viewer window...
          Our installation path was set to C drive documents area, which installed correctly but 3ds Max (D drive) isn't reading their location as supposed to, path to textures are relative to "/assets/ "
          Currently I've relinked a few manually that I wanted to try out but I'm frustrated as there are a lot of materials and doing it one by one is painstaking... it also means we cannot update to vray 5 on all work computers until bugs are ironed out in next release.

Comment

Hi simona.b
            the solution for me was, to add (similar like Aleksandar said above) the path:
            But the path was already there, so I added also the path to the subfolder of the Vray Material Library: the "assets"-folder itself.
            Then restart and it should hopefully work.

The automatic assignment did not work,
            and I will check it out when I'm back from my holidays in August, currently I'm on vacation without any computer ( vlado )

Comment

Similar problem on my end to. Is there any documentation to say where the Asset Library should be, and where in Max we can point it to that?

UPDATE: This may be a Windows 10 quirk, in that they by default they want your Documents folder to be synced to OneDrive. But too many times has OneDrive screwed with my local doc.s files so I basically turned it off. When I looked at where VRay was pointing to re:assets Lib, sure enough it was to OneDrive.
              I am re-running mtllib.exe and had it point to my local version of Documents. Fingers crossed that makes V-Ray happy.... Yep! That did it.
              Last edited by DougBowker; 24-07-2020, 02:46 PM.
              Doug
              www.douglasbowker-motiongraphics.com/

Comment

Originally posted by BeneZ View Post
                Hi simona.b
                the solution for me was, to add (similar like Aleksandar said above) the path:
                But the path was already there, so I added also the path to the subfolder of the Vray Material Library: the "assets"-folder itself.
                Then restart and it should hopefully work.

The automatic assignment did not work,
                and I will check it out when I'm back from my holidays in August, currently I'm on vacation without any computer ( vlado )
                For now I added the path manually, which renders ok but weirdly within material editor, if you click on bitmap preview button, the textures don't come up unless I also point them manually to the folder. Not a big deal right now, but certainly should be fixed in the future.
                I also find that 3ds Max doesn't remember this path in other max file scenes
                I find that quite a few software seems to struggle with installation paths when it's something other than C drive. We use D drive at work because it's massive but now we are having all these issues with vray and not all 3ds Max users know how to troubleshoot such minor problems.

Comment

Originally posted by simona.b View Post
                  UPDATE: This may be a Windows 10 quirk, in that they by default they want your Documents folder to be synced to OneDrive. But too many times has OneDrive screwed with my local doc.s files so I basically turned it off. When I looked at where VRay was pointing to re:assets Lib, sure enough it was to OneDrive.
                  I am re-running mtllib.exe and had it point to my local version of Documents. Fingers crossed that makes V-Ray happy.... Yep! That did it.
                  Running mtllib.exe again (in Program Files\Chaos Group\V-Ray\<your 3dsmax version>\bin for those who wonder where you can find it) after installation and pointing it to Documents\V-Ray Material Library folder solved the issue for me as well. I've also turned off OneDrive, so maybe this is indeed the culprit... Strangely, the library was working fine until I updated V-Ray to hotfix 2.

Comment

Working...
                  X