LightMix

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LightMix

Every time I stop a render my light mix resets to default. Frustrating as heck.
    Bobby Parker
    www.bobby-parker.com
    e-mail: info@bobby-parker.com
    phone: 2188206812

My current hardware setup:
    • Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
    • 128gb Vengeance RGB Pro RAM
    • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090
    • ​Windows 11 Pro

Yes, I keep meaning to post a topic about that - you have done it for us all. It is extremely annoying.
    You can save the settings as a file but that still is only mildly less irritating
    https://www.behance.net/bartgelin

Comment

Well it makes sense that it should.
      How is the software supposed to know that the user hasn't changed things in the scene?
      Each render is, *by definition*, a new problem to solve.
      Scanning a scene for changes every time someone presses f9 is impractical (to be kind), while a checkbox to "keep current settings" is dangerous (as the behaviour when things have surreptitiously changed would be an unknown.).

The workflow is "render -> lightmix -> transfer -> render".
      That you'd like to transfer it to scene or composite will depend on the plans/workflow you have, but transfer it you really should (it's exactly the same conceptual workflow as auto-exposure.).

Last edited by ^Lele^; 16-07-2020, 03:58 AM.
      Lele
      Trouble Stirrer in RnD @ Chaos
      ----------------------
      emanuele.lecchi@chaos.com

Disclaimer:
      The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

I see your point.
        I think, like with many things, I see this as an explanation that should be a piece of information that is listed in documentation, to skip the inclination to think that it is not WAI.

Comment

Render, setup light mix, stop, and tweak, is the typical workflow, no? It would make more sense for it to stay as it was set and you can reset it for the next render. Just my opinion.
          Bobby Parker
          www.bobby-parker.com
          e-mail: info@bobby-parker.com
          phone: 2188206812

My current hardware setup:
          • Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
          • 128gb Vengeance RGB Pro RAM
          • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090
          • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

Agree with Bobby here

Comment

I agree with bobby too.
              One just needs to transfer to scene before rerendering.
              Lele
              Trouble Stirrer in RnD @ Chaos
              ----------------------
              emanuele.lecchi@chaos.com

Disclaimer:
              The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

I think we were thinking of it more as a post 'effect', rather than wanting to change things and bake those to the scene every time we change something to see how it looks. I was anyway.
                The way I used it was to switch things off/on and to adjust mults to see how things looked. The thing with that is when I wanted to change the view then it it reverted.
                I saw I could save the altered settings to a file to stop that occurring, hence solving that - although not as handy as a check box allowing me to keep the settings until I wanted to
                transfer them

Comment

Hello,

It is in our TODO list to actually keep all the LightMix modifications whenever possible. Currently we reset the LightMix if there are any changes in the rendered image - new render elements for example but also other cases.

Best regards,
                  Yavor
                  Yavor Rubenov
                  V-Ray for 3ds Max developer

Comment

I also think it should remember the changes in Lightmix after restarting a render. This is important for when you're using multiple passes with plugins like RPManager. In Vray Next when you had multiple cameras, RPM stored separate framebuffer parameters per pass. That feature seems to be missing in Vray 5 at the moment, I'm not sure if it's from Chaos's side or RPM developers.

So with Lightmix, in one pass you might want Light X to have a certain intensity, and in another pass you might want to use a lower/higher amount. This way you can keep the scene amount the same, and control the strength in the framebuffer for each pass.

Comment

I also agree extremely frustrating that it resets after every render. I agree transferring to to scene, once you are finally happy with all the tweaks you have made to the lights!

Multiple cameras.... I may have certain lights that i only switched on for certain camera scenes, if you have to keep toggling them on and off after each render it gets frustrating.

Also you may have multiple lights so you can switch between day and night in one render, so it makes sense to have the option for them not to reset and all be switched on after every render.

Hope that's implemented in next release!

Comment

The stable nightly build from today (build 30332) - contains the fix about the LightMix reset in IPR sessions (https://nightlies.chaosgroup.com/mai...e_5.0/20200917)
                        Yavor Rubenov

Comment

Thank you so much for this! It has significantly reduced my frustration levels

Comment

Glad to hear Sorry for the initial inconvenience.
                            Yavor Rubenov

Comment

No problem....software evolves and it's just cool that our feedback is so quickly acted on

Comment

Working...
                              X