Color space transfer function autoswitch to default

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Color space transfer function autoswitch to default

Hi, I've a vraybitmap with a texture loaded in. Its color space transfer funcion is set to none. When I load an other texture it switch to " From 3ds max " is there a way to avoid it.
    A lot of time i change the texture with an other one that need to have the same color space. I'm pretty sure that before Vray5 it maintain the same color space. Now i need to set it to none manually for each new texture.

Thanks, Alessandro

Why would you set the color space to none?
    Lele
    Trouble Stirrer in RnD @ Chaos
    ----------------------
    emanuele.lecchi@chaos.com

Disclaimer:
    The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

Hi, I use none or inverse gamma set to 1 ( that is the same true? ) for height map, normal map and all the maps that do not want to be treated as they alrady have an Srgb profile applied to them, HDRI for IBL also. In the previews persion no need to reset the the transfer function every time that i load a different bitmap in the same node.

Thanks, Alessandro

Comment

Thanks!
        Yes, i can tell that currently this follows the file format.
        So, it will try and guess the gamma needed based on file format alone: 2.2 (if max is set up right) for 8 bit images (which ought to have the gamma embedded) and 1.0 for EXR, HDR, and other such FP formats.
        Personally, i think this is fine, provided it's not reset after the user has made the choice of color space manually (for it's only the user that actually knows what the file really is like.).
        It'd take care of two things: reduce work for most of the loaded 8bit material (which is still the largest part of textures), and also not make howlers when bitmaps are instanced in both color and data channels (as the user will be in charge of choosing the color space correctly.).
        So, ideally, the color space is changed only on first load, and not again.

Would something like this work?
        Last edited by ^Lele^; 03-08-2020, 04:04 AM.
        Lele
        Trouble Stirrer in RnD @ Chaos
        ----------------------
        emanuele.lecchi@chaos.com

Disclaimer:
        The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

I think that guessing the gamma based on file format is ok too.
          And as you said the most of texture do not need a manual change. But it will be great that if the manual change is needed it remain in the Vray bitmap node so i do not need to recheck if it is correct. I do not understand why it change again if i load a different texture.
          If i load a vraybitmap set it to none and paste the node because i want to maintain all the same setting but with a different bitmap i need to redo it. Is not for laziness but like theese if i forgot to redo the same process for all my bitmap i will end up with some correct and some not and need to rechek them all.

Thanks for the quick answer.

Comment

Working...
          X