Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Render frames smaller than settings say

Hey all,

I'm having an odd minor issue. I've set up a scene and my render size is 1920 x 1080. It says so in the settings and on the render dialogue when it's running. But the VFB is saying it's 960x540 and the rendered frames saved are coming out at the smaller resolution.

I'm fairly sure I haven't touched any unusual buttons so why is it rendering at only half the size it should?

I'm on Vray 5 hotfix 2 and Max 2021.

Hello,

Maybe you have Test resolution on ?
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.png
Views:	3852
Size:	14.1 KB
ID:	1081916
    Best regards,
    Yavor
    Yavor Rubenov
    V-Ray for 3ds Max developer

Comment

Originally posted by yavor.rubenov View Post
      Hello,

Maybe you have Test resolution on ?
      Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.png
Views:	3852
Size:	14.1 KB
ID:	1081916
      Best regards,
      Yavor
      Yeah that's what I thought but that button is greyed out and unselectable. It appears to be down though.

Comment

You would need to check the render size button on the top of the vfb...it defaults to 50%.
        EDIT: they beat me to it
        https://www.behance.net/bartgelin

Comment

Originally posted by Luchifer View Post
          Hey all,

I'm having an odd minor issue. I've set up a scene and my render size is 1920 x 1080. It says so in the settings and on the render dialogue when it's running. But the VFB is saying it's 960x540 and the rendered frames saved are coming out at the smaller resolution.

I'm fairly sure I haven't touched any unusual buttons so why is it rendering at only half the size it should?

I'm on Vray 5 hotfix 2 and Max 2021.
          Unlikely, but did you specify the render resolution manually in the v-ray vfb settings, in the render settings panel?
          Lele
          Trouble Stirrer in RnD @ Chaos
          ----------------------
          emanuele.lecchi@chaos.com

Disclaimer:
          The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

Originally posted by Luchifer View Post

Yeah that's what I thought but that button is greyed out and unselectable. It appears to be down though.
            It is disabled while IPR is running ?
            Yavor Rubenov
            V-Ray for 3ds Max developer

Comment

It seems disabled all the time. If I IPR render in window it does nothing. If I do a normal render with my settings it is still disabled but somehow active. I've got around it for the time being by just rendering at double the resolution but there doesn't seem to be a way of turning it off.

Comment

Any script/render pass manager going?
                Lele
                ----------------------

Disclaimer:
                The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

Originally posted by ^Lele^ View Post
                  Any script/render pass manager going?
                  Nope. And it's only just started doing it as well. I was rendering the same scene yesterday with no issue. All I've updated is some maps on the geometry.

Comment

Well, we have no feature which allows rendering of a percentage of an arbitrary resolution, besides the IPR button (which in your case is greyed out, as it should be for final renders) and which isn't sticky.
                    So, it could have been possible that a different, incidentally half-sized, resolution was specified in the VFB settings, but if doubling base resolution doubles the output, it cannot be us.

I would investigate if you dragged in the scene a callback which would be entirely capable of taking renderwidth and renderheight and reset them to their respective halves.
                    Even if, in another scene/session, you have been trying stuff out, bad code could make things stick.
                    Does another scene behave the same?
                    If it's only this one, and it does it with a single sphere, please send it over for investigation.
                    Lele
                    ----------------------

Disclaimer:

Comment

I think it heard you and altered itself back out of fear. I just pressed render again and it's fixed itself. I am confused but I'll take that as a win.

Comment

Ahah, whatever works!
                        Lele
                        ----------------------

Disclaimer:

Comment

I had this issue too, spent ages trying to work out why and gave up as had to move on. Ended up merging into a new scene. Also sometimes when I press render, nothing renders. VRay just starts to render and says done straight away. Again merging into a new scene is the only way I could fix it.

Comment

Indeed, the more i hear of it, the more it smells like a scene-persistent callback.
                            I'd love to see one scene doing this, truly.
                            Lele
                            ----------------------

Disclaimer:

Comment

Originally posted by JamesCutler View Post
                              I had this issue too, spent ages trying to work out why and gave up as had to move on. Ended up merging into a new scene. Also sometimes when I press render, nothing renders. VRay just starts to render and says done straight away. Again merging into a new scene is the only way I could fix it.
                              I haven't managed to replicate the resolution bug but I have just come across the bug I mentioned where the scene doesn't render. VRay just starts to render and then stops, only way to fix it is merging into a new scene. Or uploading the Chaos Cloud seems to be OK. Here is the file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/599uz0nxff...Error.max?dl=0

Comment

Working...
                              X