Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Render darkens on load into VFB using denoiser & light mix.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Render darkens on load into VFB using denoiser & light mix.

Hello,

I am currently importing loads of downloaded EXR's from Chaos Cloud into the VFB so that I can apply the same denoiser, light mix adjustments and colour correct controls over and over again. But as I load in each image, the denoiser automatically tries to calculate and makes the image go really dark. To fix this I have to turn off/on a light in light mix to bring it back to the correct brightness. In doing so it also calculates the denoiser again. Because I have so many images to do and the denoiser takes 30 or so seconds each time to calculate, it is really slowing me down.

Has anyone else noticed this?

Yes, I've noticed the darkening too!
    Aleksandar Mitov
    www.renarvisuals.com
    office@renarvisuals.com

3ds Max 2023.2.2 + Vray 6 Update 2.1
    AMD Ryzen 7950X 16-core
    64GB DDR5
    GeForce RTX 3090 24GB + GPU Driver 551.86

Comment

Ah good to know someone else is experiencing the same issue. It sounds like a bug.

Comment

Hello,

Can you send me one such exr so I can test it here ?

Best regards,
        Yavor
        Yavor Rubenov
        V-Ray for 3ds Max developer

Comment

Actually I managed to reproduce something similar to what you describe like this:

1. Render something in a scene with denoiser and have a region set
          2. Have the denoiser Opacity below 1.0
          3. Load an exr from File->Load image menu
          4. The denoiser is calculated using data from the exr but only for the region from step 1. Outside the region the denoiser writes black color in its internal channel. Then that channel is blended with the RGB using the denoiser opacity - as a result the image outside of the region is dark.

Is that similar to your case ?
          Yavor Rubenov
          V-Ray for 3ds Max developer

Comment

Originally posted by yavor.rubenov View Post
            Actually I managed to reproduce something similar to what you describe like this:

1. Render something in a scene with denoiser and have a region set
            2. Have the denoiser Opacity below 1.0
            3. Load an exr from File->Load image menu
            4. The denoiser is calculated using data from the exr but only for the region from step 1. Outside the region the denoiser writes black color in its internal channel. Then that channel is blended with the RGB using the denoiser opacity - as a result the image outside of the region is dark.

Is that similar to your case ?
            Yes this is correct except we are not doing a region render. Instead we are loading in different EXR renders each time.

Comment

Working...
            X