vray 5 frame buffer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vray 5 frame buffer

Recently I have upgraded to vray 5 and I came across few issues. First I applied glare layer kick in even though I am switching off. Secondly VFB is less responsive then I am used to when working in vray 4. By that I mean that I could zoom in and out when doing high res image but now I got VFB response after 5-10 second. And lastly it happens that from time to time when I cannot scroll through render elements, it is locked to rgb color. Reopening scene fix that but the problems occur at some point, I cannot trace when exactly yet.
    Best Regards

Tomek

Portfolio: http://dtown.pl/

Regarding the glare, make sure you disable it, rather than hiding the effect; otherwise, upon rendering it would reappear. Could you demonstrate the slowdown? About the render element lock, do share a screen illustrating its reproduction, so we can try it here. Does it happen on every scene? Optimally, do attach a simple scene where the issue is present.
    Aleksandar Hadzhiev | chaos.com
    Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Thank you for reply. Attached 2 printscreen showing issues I am having. On the "zoom.jpg" you see small render buckets, after 5-10 seconds rgb image readjust too. The small scenes are much more responsive but just like I said it was not my experience in vray 4. Regarding render element issue freshly reopen scene behave normally so far.
      Attached Files
      Best Regards

Tomek

Comment

Hello,

Originally posted by urbanite View Post
        Secondly VFB is less responsive then I am used to when working in vray 4. By that I mean that I could zoom in and out when doing high res image but now I got VFB response after 5-10 second.
        Actually it is the opposite - the new frame buffer is more responsive but exactly due to that it seems slower than the old one
        In the old frame buffer all the drawing actually blocked the user interface so you couldn't zoom in/out or pan faster than the frame buffer could draw the image. Also since drawing was blocking the user interface in some cases it could even block and slow the rendering too..
        In the new frame buffer all time consuming tasks happen in the background without blocking the user interface - you zoom in, the new zoomed in image is prepared in the background (applying color corrections which can be slow) and when it is ready the new image is displayed. If you are rendering high resolution images and you have slow color corrections (i see filmic (twice ?) and exposure - both are slow) and try to zoom in - it could take a while to see the resulting image. There is indeed an issue with the buckets - they are drawn immediately where they should be before the actual image is ready - we have some improvement ideas about that in the TODO list.

Best regards,
        Yavor
        Yavor Rubenov
        V-Ray for 3ds Max developer

Comment

Thanks Yavor. I thought that it has to do with the filters applied but switching them off did not changed anything in my case. I will try to delete them and see if there is any progress.
          Best Regards

Tomek

Comment

They only make matters worse. Even without them if you see sufficiently large part of the image it will require some time to prepare image for display - the rendered image is stored in full float for each component while the display uses fixed formats. This conversion takes time and if you are also rendering - the rendering itself will use most of your CPU making the conversion slower.
            Yavor Rubenov
            V-Ray for 3ds Max developer

Comment

Originally posted by yavor.rubenov View Post
              Actually it is the opposite - the new frame buffer is more responsive but exactly due to that it seems slower than the old one
              The issue does not get better by constantly repeating this over and over. With high-res renderings, panning and zooming are slower, period. Remember the recorded video, where I could happily pan around a black framebuffer where nothing was displayed until I waited for a second or so. This never ever happened in the old VFB, panning and zooming was smooth as hot butter, even with all the color-corrections applied.

In the old frame buffer all the drawing actually blocked the user interface so you couldn't zoom in/out or pan faster than the frame buffer could draw the image.
              No idea what machines you are testing this on, but on our side, we never ever had to wait for an image to be displayed in the old frame buffer.

If you are rendering high resolution images and you have slow color corrections and exposure - both are slow) and try to zoom in - it could take a while to see the resulting image.
              It WILL take a while, not could take a while. There is no if in that situation: Render an image bigger than 8K and you will get the lag, no way around it. On all our scenes we tested, on all our workstations.

Originally posted by urbanite View Post
              Thanks Yavor. I thought that it has to do with the filters applied but switching them off did not changed anything in my case. I will try to delete them and see if there is any progress.
              You won't see any difference. I do not know that is causing the issue, but it has to do with the way the new Framebuffer is handling things in the background.
              https://www.behance.net/Oliver_Kossatz

Comment

The new scene and render element display problem...
                Attached Files
                Best Regards

Tomek

Comment

Working...
                X