Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why am I getting such poor anti-aliasing with regards to backgrounds ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why am I getting such poor anti-aliasing with regards to backgrounds ?

Something which I must get to the bottom of because I get this issue quite a lot - I need to know the solution !

This is showing a cropped part of an exterior render (I've popped this into Photoshop and used a pale green to show the issue as best as I can) - the issue is bad when I put a sky backplate and those trees on the left look awful when that sky background is in place.

It happens not only on the trees, but also on those hedges and the edges of the building outline etc.

Please can someone tell me what the problem is and what the solution is as well ?

It's not the models because, as you can see, it happens to anything, including the building I modelled myself (trees are Laubwerk, hedge work was made using AutoHedge).

Many thanks.

Last edited by JezUK; 15-09-2020, 09:08 PM.
    Jez

------------------------------------
    3DS Max 2023.3.4 | V-Ray 6.10.08 | Phoenix FD 4.40.00 | PD Player 64 1.0.7.32 | Forest Pack Pro 8.2.2 | RailClone 6.1.3
    Windows 11 Pro 22H2 | NVidia Drivers 535.98 (Game Drivers)

Asus X299 Sage (Bios 4001), i9-7980xe, 128Gb, 1TB m.2 OS, 2 x NVidia RTX 3090 FE
    ---- Updated 06/09/23 -------

You have to render with a black background, else you'll have issues with alpha premultiplication, which seems to be the case.

Comment

After a decade I have yet to be able to comp a sky in Photoshop. That white border is always there.
      Bobby Parker
      www.bobby-parker.com
      e-mail: info@bobby-parker.com
      phone: 2188206812

My current hardware setup:
      • Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
      • 128gb Vengeance RGB Pro RAM
      • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090
      • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by glorybound View Post
        After a decade I have yet to be able to comp a sky in Photoshop. That white border is always there.
        Render against black background, not against V-Ray Sky or anything with color.
        https://www.behance.net/Oliver_Kossatz

Comment

That is one of the first things I have tried
          Bobby Parker
          www.bobby-parker.com
          e-mail: info@bobby-parker.com
          phone: 2188206812

My current hardware setup:
          • Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
          • 128gb Vengeance RGB Pro RAM
          • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090
          • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

This is because photoshop does its maths completely wrong, so you will always get fringing.
            You need to comp in an application that knows that 1 + 1 = 2
            If you have no choice, then a workaround is to unpremultiply your render after rendering it. Then when you comp it in photoshop it might look ok.
            It will only support opaque object though. Anything additive or self illuminated will be wrong.

Adobe is to blame here. They won't fix it because everyone has gotten used to everything they do being wrong.

Comment

You can do basic compositing in Natron - it's free and it's doing math correctly. After compositing background - you can get back to PS and do the rest.
              Available for remote work.
              My LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/olegbudeanu/

Comment

Originally posted by Moriah View Post
                You have to render with a black background, else you'll have issues with alpha premultiplication, which seems to be the case.
                Thank you so much - that worked like a charm

Jez

3DS Max 2023.3.4 | V-Ray 6.10.08 | Phoenix FD 4.40.00 | PD Player 64 1.0.7.32 | Forest Pack Pro 8.2.2 | RailClone 6.1.3

Asus X299 Sage (Bios 4001), i9-7980xe, 128Gb, 1TB m.2 OS, 2 x NVidia RTX 3090 FE

Comment

Originally posted by Oleg_Budeanu View Post
                  You can do basic compositing in Natron - it's free and it's doing math correctly. After compositing background - you can get back to PS and do the rest.
                  Thanks Oleg, anything free and I'm in

Jez

Comment

Load your background into the VFB as a background layer. Check 'save in image'.
                    James Burrell www.objektiv-j.com
                    Visit my Patreon patreon.com/JamesBurrell

Comment

Originally posted by Pixelcon View Post
                      Load your background into the VFB as a background layer. Check 'save in image'.
                      Hmmm, I was using my background in the VFB - I'll take another look re 'save in image'.

Thanks

Still, the black background worked very well for me.

Last edited by JezUK; 16-09-2020, 03:32 AM.
                      Jez

Comment

Originally posted by JezUK View Post

That's what I was doing - and is why it doesn't work.

Trust me, as others have said, it's the black background trick that is the solution.

I'm doing exactly what I explained and it works flawlessly. Rendering to black doesn't work 100% perfectly. It still leaves an ever so small black fringe which the vfb trick does not do. I don't really know what to tell you other than 'It works for me'.

Click image for larger version

Name:	test01.gif
Views:	639
Size:	283.3 KB
ID:	1084234
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	test02.gif
Views:	653
Size:	299.3 KB
ID:	1084235

PS's defringing options might LOOK like a workaround but they destroy any fine details (like thin branches).
                        James Burrell www.objektiv-j.com
                        Visit my Patreon patreon.com/JamesBurrell

Comment

Originally posted by Pixelcon View Post

I'm doing exactly what I explained and it works flawlessly. Rendering to black doesn't work 100% perfectly. It still leaves an ever so small black fringe which the vfb trick does not do. I don't really know what to tell you other than 'It works for me'.

Click image for larger version  Name:	test01.gif Views:	0 Size:	283.3 KB ID:	1084234
                          Click image for larger version  Name:	test02.gif Views:	0 Size:	299.3 KB ID:	1084235

PS's defringing options might LOOK like a workaround but they destroy any fine details (like thin branches).
                          Hi James,

Sorry, you'll see I'd since rephrased my reply before your set of images

After I posted that initial reply towards you, I'd remembered that maybe I hadn't checked "Save in Image" (don't remember doing so) - so I'll definitely give your solution a try at the next opportunity.

But the black background worked for me and has been posted also by others as the solution including the authors of PSD-Manager - so I went with that option (as your solution came after I was done).

Either way, thanks again, I'm confident that if I follow your exact procedure, including "save in image", then it'll work just as you describe

Jez

Comment

Remove Black Matte has been in Photoshop since at least version 2. I think I recall it was even in the Pre-1.0 betas.

This is specifically designed to unmultiply an image premultiplied on a black background— which is what you want. Defringe may or may not look good, but it is not specifically for this purpose.

Perhaps render to EXR premultiplied on black, then Remove Black Matte with the image still in floating point linear gamma (dark to the eye). Then convert to sRGB or whatever you want for display gamma. (E.g. add gamma 2.2 or 2.4).

I think the difference between VFB and PS with remove black matte is likely the gamma at which this is applied.
                            Last edited by Joelaff; 20-09-2020, 12:54 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X