Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vraysceneconverter sets all material reflections to white

Hello,

My current workflow is to import a sketchup model and run vraysceneconverter to convert all mats to vray materials.

In previous versions, the reflection color was set to black, which made it easy to only give reflection to the materials that need it.

Now in 3DS Max 2021 white running Vray 5, hotfix 2, all my materials convert with a reflection color set to white which makes be have to edit every material back to black if no reflection needed.

Any idea what is causing this or how to fix?

Thanks in advance.

Wild guess: specular on the incoming materials?
    Could i get an unconverted max scene to look at (mail address is in my signature, below)?
    Lele
    Trouble Stirrer in RnD @ Chaos
    ----------------------
    emanuele.lecchi@chaos.com

Disclaimer:
    The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

I've recently upgraded from Max 2020 to 2022 and this is a problem now. In 2020 a SKP file imported with Standard Mats which would convert just fine to VRay mats. Now with 2022 (and 2021), a SKP file imports with Physical Mats.

The Physical Mat is set to Simple Material Mode with Glossiness at 0 but no Reflection color is exposed. Switch this to Advanced Material Mode and the Reflection color is shown to be white. Convert to VRay mat and we have white reflections with 0 glossy.

So having all my materials default to full white reflections and 0 glossiness makes my render about 20% slower and noisier (but brighter). Is this setup more physically correct and I need to accept the new way?

I understand ADSK wanting to make Standard mats legacy and move to Physical. I also understand that VRay has helpfully made Physical mats work with no conversion needed but I'd like more control somewhere in that pipeline.

Is there any script that could parse through the file and make any mat with glossiness 0 to have black reflection?

Comment

Originally posted by CRD View Post
        Is there any script that could parse through the file and make any mat with glossiness 0 to have black reflection?
        Run the code below on a converted scene.

Code:
        for m in (getclassinstances vraymtl) where (m.reflection_glossiness == 0.0 and m.texmap_reflectionGlossiness == undefined) do (m.reflection=black)
        Lele
        Trouble Stirrer in RnD @ Chaos
        ----------------------
        emanuele.lecchi@chaos.com

Disclaimer:
        The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

That worked perfectly! Thanks so much for the quick response

Comment

ah, totally forgot about this thread and was still having this issue. I will try that code today, sounds like it works. Thanks Lele!

Comment

Working...
            X