Exported VrayVRmat from Max is not working in Maya

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exported VrayVRmat from Max is not working in Maya

Attached some self-explanating screenshots after a fist render test.

I exported from 3dsMax with TOOL > Vray vrmat converter

It's a simple Metall material from 3dsMax library, even no maps connected.
    It looks reflecting in 3dsMax but just like a dull lambert in Maya.

Max 2021 and Maya 2020.3, both Vray5.

( I know I can of course easy transfer the settings of this example, but this is a technical test and there are also some more complex materials.)

Thanks.

Rendering in Maya Vray VFB:

Click image for larger version  Name:	chrome ball in maya.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.6 KB ID:	1093179
    Click image for larger version  Name:	maya metall reflect.jpg Views:	0 Size:	16.2 KB ID:	1093181

And this is how it originally looks in Max
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Material in MAX metall reflecting.jpg Views:	0 Size:	117.9 KB ID:	1093182

Attached Files
    Last edited by BeneZ; 23-11-2020, 02:10 PM.

The issue is due to the fact that the "Metalness" and "Use Roughness" parameters are not exported in the .vrmat. Try exporting the material as a .vrscene, which you load in the VRayVRmat Mtl and see if that works out for you.
    Aleksandar Hadzhiev | chaos.com
    Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Thanks, this is exactly what I did then.
      But loading materials from vrscenes seem to be slower? At least at some point with many materials it became sluggish in Maya and I started to replace them manually.

I used it to transfer from the Vray asset library materials, but some materials on the same objects did not translate correctly, because the UV or bump scaling looked wrong and I did not see a way to fix this with a vrscene material.
      (A small structure on a surface became big and bumpy in Maya.)
      I did not find out what has been the reason. The scene units are actually always the same.

Comment

Are your V-Ray asset library materials by any chance imported with "Use real-world scale"? If so, you would need to scale your object's UVs in Maya so as to get a correct result. The alternative option is disabling real-world scale prior to .vrscene export.
        Aleksandar Hadzhiev | chaos.com
        Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Working...
        X