Vrayproxy support for per-object axis for proper Triplanar projection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vrayproxy support for per-object axis for proper Triplanar projection

Right as is it's impossible to use vraytriplanar with vrayproxy since it doesn't contain any local axis information per object. This makes the lookdev very limited since we have to use UVs for every object that is imported and requires some kind of texturing. 3dsmax is our assembly package and either animations come from houdini or c4d. We have to use the native alembic imported to access local axis and use triplanar... which is also a PITA to use because there's no easy way to relink/reload abc, proper management of the files, etc.

I know maya has a new improved proxy, but i'm wondering if it has support for this? If not, is it possible to implement? This would make our lives sooooo much easier.

Thank you.

We'll see if we can implement such information in VRayProxies. Otherwise, try setting the VRayTriplanar's Space to 'Reference transform'' and plug-in a reference matrix of your choosing (or don't plug anything to use world space) so you can get matching results between objects and proxies.
    Aleksandar Hadzhiev | chaos.com
    Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

But that still doesn't solve any issues in animation right? Only works for stills. To be honest, i don't know how big studios using vrayproxies handle this, maybe they simply don't use triplanar and must have UVs for everything that is animated. It would be very nice to have this feature if posssible.
      Last edited by Moriah; 14-12-2020, 11:23 AM.

Comment

Usually this is done by baking the reference positions and normals to map channels (f.e. in Houdini), or by using a reference mesh (f.e. in Maya). Not sure what would be a similar workflow in Max though.

Best regards,
        Vlado
        I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Is there an alembic attribute that is automatically picked up in vray for this? I'm guessing it's something like Houdini's 'rest' attribute?
          www.lunaranimation.com

Comment

There is a similar feature in max's BBM map, i haven't been successful using it with vray, but it seems to lock the reference positions to a certain frame.
            Attached Files

Comment

Working...
            X