Slow memory unloading on heavy scene

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slow memory unloading on heavy scene

I remember when slow memory unloading was an issue: https://forums.chaosgroup.com/forum/...es#post1098904

I have a scene that could use some little optimization in terms of scattering / 2D displacement etc, it uses about 70 GB of my RAM out of the 128 and I have around 20 RenderElements. I could probably shave 10GB of RAM of it but that's besides the point, it takes around 10-15 minutes to unload from memory at around 10 mb/s according to the taskmanager, doesn't matter much if it's at 1500px or 6K (6K takes longer ofcourse). Untill then Max is unresponsive.

The scene is not entirely at fault here because less heavier scenes also have a tendency to take too long for Max to become responsive if I compare it to for instance Corona. Is there still some optimization room left for this, or is this a Windows thing?
    Last edited by Vizioen; 15-01-2021, 08:17 AM.
    A.

---------------------
    www.digitaltwins.be

as usual, im struggling with the same thing... typing this while waiting for max to come back after doing a displacement test render. its annoying since it seems IPR does not do an accurate representation of actual final displacement, but doing test renders means 2 mins waiting for it to build the geometry and load the maps, 5 mins to render, and another 5-10 mins waiting for max to come back. does not make for a very productive day

Comment

So I already forgot I made this thread, when looking on the forum for this problem I can see Chaos didn't really reply. And with the newest update, nothing actually changed. How come Corona unloads so much faster?
      A.

---------------------
      www.digitaltwins.be

Comment

Almost one year later, no reply...I have no idea why it's necessary for memory unloading to happen so slow. Could someone from Chaos, perhaps lele shine some light on this please? I'm sure I'm not the only one, am I?
        A.

---------------------
        www.digitaltwins.be

Comment

Wrong Lele, eheh.
          This had been looked into also many years ago (as i was hired i remember this was one of the first things i bugged the devs on, as i had suffered from it in production), but not much came out of it, that i recall.
          I'll ask again, see where we're at and try and report back (or a dev will.).
          Lele
          Trouble Stirrer in RnD @ Chaos
          ----------------------
          emanuele.lecchi@chaos.com

Disclaimer:
          The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

Thanks Lele, yeah haha wrong tag.

In my honest opinion, this should be high at the top of things to fix, as a lot of people lose a lot of time on this I suspect. If this could be optimized, that would make a lot of artists happy I suppose.

I haven't used Corona in a while now (small year) but I remember that with heavier scenes, it unloaded the RAM a LOT faster than V-ray. Not sure how they do it, and if this knowledge can be applied to V-ray, but couldn't hurt to check I guess?
            A.

---------------------
            www.digitaltwins.be

Comment

I had a chat with the devs.

A solution to the issue isn't forthcoming, unfortunately.

This doesn't mean the devs are sitting idly on this: they are well aware of it, and research is ongoing, but currently no solution has been found.

Corona's architecture is very different from ours, so we can't just "do what they do".

Lele
              ----------------------

Disclaimer:
              The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

Originally posted by ^Lele^ View Post

Corona's architecture is very different from ours, so we can't just "do what they do".
                As I suspected. Too bad really. This has been an issue for years (5+). I wasn't saying they are sitting idly on this, but Vlado said this is an issue with Windows, should we poke them to patch this (although this might sound easier said than done of course).
                A.

---------------------
                www.digitaltwins.be

Comment

Originally posted by Vizioen View Post
                  I wasn't saying they are sitting idly on this
                  Sorry, didn't mean to imply you did.
                  Lele
                  ----------------------

Disclaimer:

Comment

Originally posted by ^Lele^ View Post
                    Sorry, didn't mean to imply you did.
                    Haha no worries Lele, I wasn't implying that you were implying
                    A.

---------------------
                    www.digitaltwins.be

Comment

Working...
                    X