Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• V-Ray GPU + Denoiser V-Ray = CUDA error 999 "unknown internal error"

Hello support team & community,

on a modest project with V-Ray GPU and Denoiser "Default V-Ray" (not NVidia AI) I have a CUDA error 999 "unknown internal error".
    The render can't be processed as the CUDA device is somehow disabled.
    With the Denoiser Nvidia AI all goes well and the render flies (until lack of VRAM lol all good).

Screen capture below.

I spent lots of time troubleshooting this one and the solution was simply to switch the Denoiser from "Default V-Ray" to "Nvidia AI" in the render elements.
    Hope this helps other people "stuck projects" and the dev team for update.

Have a good day,
    regards.

ps : yes the GPU used for this render is very low end
    ps2 : using an educational licence with another Chaos Group account.
    ​--
    Olivié Charbonneau
    3d visualization & motion graphics

Hi olivoist

CUDA 999 may mean a lot of things, is it happening only with this particular project? If you render a lowres image, do you observe the same behavior? Can you also make sure to update your GPU drivers to the latest recommended ones and give it another try?
    If the issue persists, would it be possible to pack the scene altogether with the assets and forward it through our contact form? Make sure to mention this thread in the email along with the V-Ray/host app versions used. Thanks!
    Nikoleta Garkova | chaos.com

Comment

Hello Nikoleta and thank you for your answer.

First of all sorry I forgot to mention my rig infos :
      3ds Max 2018
      V-Ray 5 hotfix 2 for 3ds Max 2018 (latest)
      NVIDIA driver version 457.09 (the recommanded version until very recently).

A render with Denoiser V-Ray at very low res 192x108 does not work : see screen capture enclosed (now CUDA error 700 instead of CUDA error 999).
      A render with Denoiser Nvidia at res 2560x1440 works fine (not enougth VRAM for 3840x2160 lol).
      FYI the render is simply a HDRI lighting (1k) of this asset : https://www.turbosquid.com/3d-models...-model-1490206
      HDRI (1k version) here : https://hdrihaven.com/hdri/?c=outdoor&h=winter_river
      It is just a product render.

A render with Denoiser V-Ray of a simplistic scene (plane and sphere with domelight HDRI) works, no error. So yes indeed it is scene dependent...

So I'll update the Nvidia driver to the NEW recommendation version 461.09 and try again. If it fails I send you the scene thank you for asking.

Talk soon,
      regards.
      ​--
      Olivié Charbonneau

Comment

Hello again Nikoleta,

I just updated the Nvidia driver to the NEW recommendation version 461.09.

Not much better results but now the errors are a bit different, it's CUDA error 700 (not 999) and Optix denoiser error 7001 (please see below).

I collected the scene and send it to the through the contact form.

Good day,
        regards.
        ​--
        Olivié Charbonneau

Comment

Working...
        X