Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DR slaves not joining renders (VRay 5, update 1 hotfix 2)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DR slaves not joining renders (VRay 5, update 1 hotfix 2)

Our DR slaves that are booted after a DR render starts now fail to join in the render.
    I can get them to join the render if I open the DR settings (in the render progress dialog on the DR host) and close it again.

From what I can tell this only started since installing VRay 5, update 1 hotfix 2.

Anyone else seeing this behaviour?
    Set V-Ray class properties en masse with the VMC script
    Follow me for script updates: @ollyspolys

It should work fine. Are the slaves updated as well? Could you attach a screencap of the message log after a render attempt?
    Aleksandar Hadzhiev | chaos.com
    Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Yes, all slaves are updated.

We had this on a couple of production renders, but cannot seem to reproduce it now.

Hopefully it was just a blip, but I will post an update if I see it again.

Cheers,
      Olly

Comment

So it is happening on a render now:

I have submitted a few DR renders to backburner, assigned to my workstation.
        I start backburner server and the render starts.
        I then decide I need to speed the render along so I power up a DR slave about 2 hours later.
        The spawner starts on the slave and just sits there doing nothing.
        It only joins when I open the DR settings (VRay Parameters rollout of the render progress dialog) and close it again, unchanged.

I've attached the vraylogs from the host & slave before and after I open & close the DR settings in the active render dialog:
        vraylog_host (before open and close of DR settings).txt
        vraylog_host (after open and close of DR settings).txt
        vraylog_slave (before open and close of DR settings).txt
        vraylog_slave (after open and close of DR settings).txt

The logs were grabbed from "C:\Users\<myusername>\AppData\Local\Temp\vraylog. txt"

Weirdly the vraylogs from the host only covers subset of time and ends as though the render was completed, although it was still going when I uploaded them here.

We are experiencing the same behaviour across two sites each consisting of 1 workstation & 5 slaves all hooked up on dumb switches.
        No vpn or any fancy network setups.
        All machines are running max 2021.1 & vray 5.1.2.

Please let me know if you need anything else from me.

Cheers,
        Olly

Comment

Thanks for the feedback. I've managed to reproduce the issue - the VRaySpawner does not automatically connect to the DR session when activated in a later stage of the rendering (even though 3ds Max seems start on the slave). In my tests, using the "Resolve servers" option fixes the issue when rendering through Backburner. It seems to happen in a regular DR session as well. I will speak to our developers to see if we can find a workaround and get back to you.
          Aleksandar Hadzhiev | chaos.com
          Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Any update on this topic? Very interested also

Comment

Working...
            X