Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Discrepancies in baked OCIO output (V-Ray 4.30.02)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Discrepancies in baked OCIO output (V-Ray 4.30.02)

Hi all! This is a fairly specific request, but curious what others' approaches would be.

We're looking to bake in OCIO corrections (like those from https://docs.sharktacos.com/photogra...lor-grade.html), but we're finding the output from saving out to a .jpg or to a .tif is still applying gamma correction (even if sRGB is turned off in the VFB). In the attached image, the only way to get the same result from the VFB is to further gamma correct by .4545 in PS or another image editor to match.

1. The pipelines these images are going into are somewhat legacy, and the goal with OCIO is to at least provide consistency to the corrections, the same way you would with any LUT. At the moment, the way we review images, .jpgs or .tifs are required for output and any other conversion of .exr -> .jpg/.tif is tedious.
    2. I'm curious if we're missing something somewhere? I thought of in the render settings doing Gamma + Color Mapping, but figured that would mess up .exr output? Because that would change the original rendered pixels.

I can think of a lot more ideal ways of doing this... but we're kind of stuck with the pipeline we've got. Looking for a solution w/o redoing too much.

Hello,

You will probably need to set the Max file output gamma to 1.0 to avoid the gamma correction. You can use this MAXScript:
    Code:
    fileOutGamma=1.0
    to set it globally or set it in the file save dialog for individual files.

Best regards,
    Yavor
    Yavor Rubenov
    V-Ray for 3ds Max developer

Comment

Working...
    X