Difference between saved JPG and copy paste from VFB to Photoshop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Difference between saved JPG and copy paste from VFB to Photoshop

Why is there a difference (sometimes small, sometimes bigger) between a copy and paste directly from the VFB to photoshop, or a saved JPG. My view settings in VFB are Gamma 2.2, previously they were sRGB and the difference was a lot bigger, but even with 2.2, there's some difference. Not THAT noticeable. Is it because of JPG compression? I tried other formats, but there's always some minor difference.

Also is it advised to set it to Gamma 2.2 in the VFB? or sRGB?
    A.

---------------------
    www.digitaltwins.be

The main culprit is likely to be .jpg ! - you can save the same image with an awful lot of different sizes as jpgs of different settings. Personally I would never save anything (other than a copy for low quality distribution) in a 'lossy' compression. Try sticking to .tif or .png - but make sure you are selecting the same bit depth all the time.. But I suspect if you save a screen grab - copy & paste - (rather than a proper save) you may have grabbed something affected by your display settings and saved that. Your choice as to Gamma - depends what you want to do with the images - but I would strongly suggest you make a choice and stick with it!

Comment

Well I have a bit of a weird workflow when it comes to mocking up a render. When it's done, I just copy and paste the beauty in Photoshop, if I feel I need some render channels I copy paste those as well while I work on it, eventhough I saved those as .tga. The common file is always JPG as I have the elements as .tga anyway.

I'm reading in a lot of places that 2.2 is the better way to go. I don't work in VFX (archviz only) and my renders are quite balanced already so I don't need extreme flexibility in the end.
      A.

---------------------
      www.digitaltwins.be

Comment

Do you find the same differences when saving to .tga and copying/pasting from vfb to psd, or its only with jpg?
        Kind Regards,
        Morne

Comment

no perceptible difference here between between ‘copy to clipboard’ and saved jpg. all thanks to compressed blocks of pixels. and with saved png same pixels differ by 1/256 rgb value max - roughly 8 times less on an image I checked.
          Marcin Piotrowski
          youtube

Comment

Working...
          X