Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Slow light cache with many mimpmap textures.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slow light cache with many mimpmap textures.

Hi.

Im currently sitting with a huge projects with lots of udim textures.
    They are all setup as multitile EXRs and when i hit render light cache can take up to 30 min on the first frame, but the next frame it takes 1-2 min.
    In the vray messages log i can see that it spends a lot of time loading in these textures and i think it has to do with multitiles slowing it down?

Peak memory usage is 47gb and im on a 64gb system.

i have tried setting the dynamic memory limit to 62gb and increasing the tiled texture cache size, but nothing seems to speed it up.

Is there anyway to speed this up?

This is entirely normal: the LC is the first to trace into a scene, and has to load the textures from their stored place at the right resolution (which won't be the same as that in the viewports, if any is displayed there. Meaning it's a new process.).
    The next render has them cached in RAM, so it only needs to validate file existence for most textures, not reload the right mip/tile from disk.

To speed this up, get a closer (i.e. non-networked) and quicker (i.e. m2) cache place.

I haven't benchmarked tiled EXRs in a long while, but they used to be *much* quicker than standard bitmaps (which are front-loaded, not loaded on demand).
    However, if you feel it's an issue with us, please pack the stuff and send it over to support for profiling!
    Lele
    Trouble Stirrer in RnD @ Chaos
    ----------------------
    emanuele.lecchi@chaos.com

Disclaimer:
    The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

Working...
    X