Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• V-Ray Downclock/Bypass CPU OC Settings

Hello,

Since a couple of days I'm dealing with a really strange "issue"...

Since the day before yesterday, out of the blue, for no apparent reason when rendering scenes in 3ds Max 2020, Vray no longer utilize the CPU OC (in my case 4,4 GHz on all cores) that is set up in the PC's BIOS.

The issue manifests only when using progressive rendering method. When using Bucket method the issue disappear. Frankly I have tried all methods to identify what might cause, including re-rendering old scenes, but no luck...

I consider this issue very strange because I haven't changed or installed anything lately with the exception of the latest 3ds Max 2020 security fix update...

I have attached two screenshots that somehow manage to illustrate the "issue", but the strangest thing is when the render builds the light cache the CPU doesn't downclock, it starts to downclock in the moment when the progressive render starts.

My hardware/software setup environment is the following:

OS: Win 10 64 Bit 20H2 (Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.2020.0)
    RAM: 128 GB DD4 ~2666 MHz
    CPU: Intel® Core™ i9-9980XE Extreme Edition Processor @ 4,4 GHz all cores
    Mobo: Asus ROG Rampage VI Extreme Omega
    Autodesk® 3ds Max® 2020 (2020.3.4 Security Fix)
    Vray Next Update 3.2
    Forest Pack Pro 6.2.1
    Corona Renderer 5 hotfix 2

Any help/suggestion would be much appreciated given the fact that is a very strange manifestation.

P.S. I have also tried and installed Vray 5 but no avail...the issue still manifests

Attached Files

V-Ray has no control over CPU clock frequencies, so there might be some kind of hardware issue going on (i.e. overheating). Note that we do not recommend overclocking. Try monitoring your CPU temperature and also, this article about hardware issues might come in handy.
    Aleksandar Hadzhiev | chaos.com
    Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Update:

I have run today a few tests with the Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool and in some of the tests the CPU downclock itself.

But here's the interesting part, in April I have made a clone to my old Windows 10 OS (1909) before upgrading to 20H2 and somehow I've kept it. I have booted the PC with the 1909 Windows and guess what? The CPU does not downclock when rendering, and does not downclock with the Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool too.

I'm starting to think that somehow (maybe I'm wrong, I don't know) that Windows may interfere with the OC in some programs... why I'm sayin' this? Because my issues started to manifest since 28 May 2021 and on that day I had an error code: 0x8007139F when "stealthy" updating Gaming Services from Microsoft Store (I don't even know what those services do but they always update stealthy, sometime even when I'm rendering).

I'll continue to dig more because the things are starting to get very interesting...

Comment

Working...
      X