Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Display corrections and light mix settings not applied on rendered seqence when using deadline/render manager URGENT!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Display corrections and light mix settings not applied on rendered seqence when using deadline/render manager URGENT!

Very urgent problem. We have a massive animation project with a tight deadline and realized that when trying to use network rendering through any render manager none of the display corrections are applied. The same goes for the light mix adjustments.
    Please suggest a workaround... We tried exporting a LUT from VFB and use it in premiere but the the result is way off. Maybe someone can explain how to achieve this.
    Also because of the light mix issue the only workaround is to send the light mix setting to scene. This is not ideal because the main file has a bunch of xrefs and as I found out during my tests the adjustments are applied only on the lights and vray light materials that are inside the main file.
    If someone has a better suggestion for this please that doesn't imply merging the xrefs please share.

pixel bender @ panoptikon

Hello,

Display corrections and light mix settings not applied on rendered seqence when using deadline
    About the deadline issue - could you try to disable the Local Rendering option when submitting to Deadline (https://docs.chaosgroup.com/display/...ctsLayer-Notes).

We tried exporting a LUT from VFB and use it in premiere but the the result is way off
    Could you give some more details on what are the differences ? Keep in mind that the LUT from the VFB only includes color corrections above the LensFx layer. Also what file format are you saving to - for proper LUT application it would be best to use some floating point format like EXR. Also - LUTs account for values up to 1.0f and if you have pixels with values above that - it is up to the premiere what to do with them..

For the xrefs and transfer to scene - will check it out.

Best regards,
    Yavor
    Yavor Rubenov
    V-Ray for 3ds Max developer

Comment

Hello Yavor,

Thank you for reaching out.
      We will try to disable the local rendering option and see if it makes any difference.

Concerning the LUT problem. We exported the LUT from VFB (this had just some minor white balance and exposure corrections, plus a filmic tonemap). We exported the image as .exr, imported it in Premiere, but after applying the LUT the image was way overexposed.

I tried to do some tests for the light mix adjustments and it seems that sometimes it works as expected, sometimes not. On a simple scene (just a cube and few lights), if I render the image, make the LightMix adjustments, save the image in the history, the second time I hit render the adjustments remain.
      On my main scene if I do the same thing I managed to make it work a few times, but most of the time, as soon as the render starts all my adjustments are defaulted to 1. I must specify that this happens even if I render locally, just one frame, without DR.

Comment

About the LUT - I forgot to mention - it does not include sRGB corrections from the Display corrections layer. Also - if you used the exposure slider in the Display correction - it is also not included (it is only for display purposes).

As for the light mix adjustments - they are reset if you add/remove lights. You can save presets in the LightMix layer and then load them later on.
        Yavor Rubenov

Comment

That's what I thought it works but I thing there is a bug. Just after your reply I made a couple of more tests. I rendered one image on my workstation loaded the light mix from a previous render but as soon as the rendering started all the values were reset.
          I tried the second time to manually input the values for the light mix, saved the image in the history and this time it worked.
          After this I closed 3Ds max, opened it; the adjustments were there but as soon as I started rendering it all went to defaults again.
          I have to mention that there were no light added or removed in the scene. Basically all day today we just tried to render something but it seems that the light mix is broken.
          As a last resort, I will import the xrefs in my scene and send the light adjustments "Too Scene" but this is not ideal. Instead of working with a single file I will have almost 15 different scenes and if the client will require changes it will take a lot of time to implement them.

Comment

What is your V-Ray version ? Some of the older ones indeed had such bugs and LightMix values were reset without need. Latest versions should have it fixed.
            Yavor Rubenov

Comment

We are on V-Ray 5, update 1.2 (5.10.02 build 30700) Max 2019

Comment

We have updated Vray to 5.10.03 build 30820 - the issue with light mix values getting reset is still present. Maybe it has to do with the fact that most of the lights are part of a xref?

Comment

Sorry for the delayed reply - I managed to reproduce the issue and will try to get some fix soon.
                  Yavor Rubenov

Comment

Thanks for the response Yavor!
                    Another issue we had (and hoped that it would go away with the latest update) was with some sequences that were left to render on our farm and the file keeps freezing randomly and it must be forced closed. One of my colleagues had to access the PC remote once every hour last night just to reopen the file and set it to render again. Sometimes it renderes 10-20 frames before getting stuck sometimes 100 or more.
                    Any tips regarding this issue would be much appreciated.

Comment

Any tips regarding this issue would be much appreciated.
                      It would be easiest probably if you get the scene to our support - they can test it here and see if they reproduce the freeze and then we can debug it.

Another option is to create a minidump of the process when it is frozen and send it to support. (You can use Process Explorer from Microsoft - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sys...ocess-explorer as it creates much smaller dumps).
                      Yavor Rubenov

Comment

Stable nightlies now have a fix for the LightMix resetting issue.
                        Yavor Rubenov

Comment

Thanks for the update Yavor.

Comment

Working...
                          X