Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Urgent help with large scene crashing on render

Hi guys,
    so like I said on the other thread, I have an area with about 30 houses, 4 different types. They are all in containers so only 4 are loaded and have the same source. The area has plenty of grass and vegetation, boats, etc. When I render, light cash finishes and I see it but when the render should start I get an error that embree failed somehow. It's the same with progressive and bucket. I'm using the latest vray (update 3) and MAX 21.
    Trying different things now but it takes so much time to load and start the render. I've noticed that if I turn the embree off the MAX just crashes all together.

What's the procedure with large scenes? I think I've optimized it the best way possible. Should I limit the dynamic memory limit or something?

Thanks

Edit: PC has 64GM of ram
    Last edited by Crayox13; 30-06-2021, 02:49 AM.
    www.hrvojedesign.com

So I managed to start the render with embree and limiting dyn memory to 50GB without the vegetation. But now when I tried with vegetation it just exited.
    www.hrvojedesign.com

Comment

Right now embree off and dynamic mem limit on 50GB worked and I managed to render the first frame/view but when it started the second it crashed again. I'm using animatied camera for different views, so not rendering an animation. But this is not usable. I mean I can't have it just crash after every frame
      www.hrvojedesign.com

Comment

Googled a bit a found the magic button! Conserve memory...didn't see since I don't use expert view anymore. Everything working so far! Even switching to the next frame!
        www.hrvojedesign.com

Comment

so managed to render all the views yesterday but had to decrease multiscatter grass from 20mil to 10mil and increase the size so it doesnt look so good now. any ideas still?
          Edit...because 20 mil kept crashing it
          Last edited by Crayox13; 01-07-2021, 01:17 AM.
          www.hrvojedesign.com

Comment

It's very hard to say what could be causing it but there are maybe ways to try to find out what may be.
            I haven't used Multiscatter for years, only ForestPack, so that would be my guess; simply that Multiscatter is not as good with memory
            as Forest is. So you could invest in Forest if that is an option.

Does all the scattered stuff render fully when there is nothing else, i.e. all the other geometry, in the scene?
            If so, then maybe there are optimisations that can be done with the houses or other props etc.
            Or optimisations of the scattered stuff....lower poly assets for distant stuff and such.

My instinct is that it is the scatters.

EDIT: I just had a thought that it 'could' be your use of an animated camera for the views. Maybe the ram is not being cleared between frames, hence the crash.
            Can it render just once without crashing or issues?

It could also be that your rig is not up to handling such demanding scenes.....time to get the upgrade cash from out of the mattress?
            Last edited by fixeighted; 01-07-2021, 01:06 AM.
            https://www.behance.net/bartgelin

Comment

Thx...yes initially it might have been the sequence too since it rendered the first one and then crashed but after I enabled conserve memory it rendered all of them.
              Rig is 3 years old and pretty good 1950X woth 64GB of ram but of course it can always use more. I still think it should be able to handle a scene like this. I'll try to render only the grass.
              www.hrvojedesign.com

Comment

So I found out MS has a vray instancer option too so when I checked that I managed to get grass to 30mil. I also use camera FOV optimizer. Still I managed to get 10 frames rendered over night before it crashed, then 2 more and crash...so I'll have to restart now. Would be really great if there was something else to do. Maybe in Windows or something? I send the crash log to chaos.
                www.hrvojedesign.com

Comment

We've received your e-mail, however, there seems to be something wrong with the attached log (1kb and does not open). Could you send it again? Otherwise, from the looks of it you are indeed running out of memory (do monitor your RAM usage to confirm). Check if the scene is very far away from the center of the coordinate system. If so, there might be a slowdown due to the more complex Embree calculations. Also, check this guide on memory optimization, written by Lele.
                  Aleksandar Hadzhiev | chaos.com
                  Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Strangely the log was like 40MB big so I compressed them with 7zip...is that ok? I'll check out your link. Thx
                    www.hrvojedesign.com

Comment

Working...
                    X