Render Phoenix FD Crashes Max

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Render Phoenix FD Crashes Max

I don't know if I should post this issue in the PhoenixFD forum or here, but since I got the issue when rendering I post it here.
    Based on the phoenix FD example scene 'Ship in the ocean' I have cached a simulation with my own mesh. In this scene I only adjusted the grid to the size of my mesh.
    When I hit render I get a fatal error (unhandled exception) and crashes Max

Any idea what causes this?

Click image for larger version

Name:	vray_error.png
Views:	761
Size:	20.2 KB
ID:	1118864

3DsMax 2022
    Win 10
    Threadripper 1950x
    64 GB Ram
    Vray 5 update 1.3
    Phoenix FD 4.41

You may be running out of memory. Try monitoring your RAM usage and see if that is indeed the case. Otherwise, do send the scene via the contact form so we can take a look. Address it to me in the subject and include a link to this thread in the message.
    Aleksandar Hadzhiev | chaos.com
    Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Thanks for your reply. Memory stays around 18 GB and the crash occurs almost instantly when hitting the render button. I'll send you the file. You need to simulate some frames or should I send something like 10 cached frames also?

Comment

Yes, include the cache as well. If 10 cached frames are enough for the crash's reproduction, it will suffice. If not, the whole cache will be necessary.
        Aleksandar Hadzhiev | chaos.com
        Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Let's first try 10 frames .. with 50MB per frame it runs quickly to 50 GB I'll send you the file (s) thanks

Comment

Hi.

I have the exact same problem, following the same tutorial ('Ship in the ocean') as menno_vandijk
            Did this problem get a solution?

I can render the simulation just fine when I have my dummy-object visible (my simulation is run on a simplified version of my ship. But when I hide that one and unhides the real mesh, my render crashes when Im half way trough the render.

I have 80 GBs of RAM, and that should be more than enough.

Ping hermit.crab also.

Comment

Im replying to myself here since I found a workaround/solution. I changed my render settings from CPU to GPU, and now it renders fine.

Comment

Hey,

Can you give us a bit more info, which Phoenix and V-Ray versions are you using? You can find more on how to check them here - https://docs.chaos.com/display/PHX4M...entEnvironment

Can you check if there are any warnnings or errors in your Phoenix log file? - it's located in C:\ChaosPhoenix

Thanks!
                Georgi Zhekov
                Phoenix Product Manager
                Chaos

Comment

Working...
                X