MaxStart file. Vray 5.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MaxStart file. Vray 5.

I tend to have a maxstart file setup so Vray loads in by default along with settings/render elements and various other max settings etc.

For some reason having max load Vray by default is causing me some issues. Max will load my custom maxstart file and open but if I try to 'Reset' the scene or even close max down - max freezes, my viewports go black and I have to kill the max process in task manger.

Any idea what is going on here? I do not have this issue when Arnold is the default renderer.

Max 2022. Latest Vray.
    Last edited by DanSHP; 15-07-2021, 11:27 AM.

Bumping this

Comment

Also if I switch from Vray to Arnold (even in a blank file), max crashes too.

Comment

OK, I've nailed this down to vray denoiser element being added to the render elements.

If this is added to the render elements list in 3ds Max 2022, at least for me, clicking 'reset', changing render engines or closing max down causes the viewports to go black and max hangs unresponsive and does nothing else. Process must be ended via task manger.

Comment

I have just tried this to test but am seeing nothing as described.
          Just to check, I added a denoiser and resaved as mastart, then tried a reset, renderer change etc.

So, annoyingly, it may be something else with your particular setup.
          Try this maxstart to see if it changes anything https://www.dropbox.com/s/z7f98jabtv...start.max?dl=0
          https://www.behance.net/bartgelin

Comment

Originally posted by fixeighted View Post
            I have just tried this to test but am seeing nothing as described.
            Just to check, I added a denoiser and resaved as mastart, then tried a reset, renderer change etc.

So, annoyingly, it may be something else with your particular setup.
            Try this maxstart to see if it changes anything https://www.dropbox.com/s/z7f98jabtv...start.max?dl=0
            Cheers

What max and v-ray are you running?

edit: same issue with this max start file.

I've deleted the max start file from scenes, so when max starts it opens in a blank default state. If I add vray denoiser to said blank scene, then go through reset/close max etc again I get the issue described above. So it's unlikely anything to do with maxstart file at all.
            Last edited by DanSHP; 19-07-2021, 03:23 AM.

Comment

Same as you I think, 22 and 5.10.03

Comment

Starting max with a fresh ENU folder seems to have resolved the issue. No idea what's causing this particular problem with the denoiser element in my old setup. Strange.

Comment

Ah well, cool, at least it now is behaving

Comment

hermit.crab Your response above has vanished from the the thread?

I save my maxstart file in scenes. Defaults switcher is set to V-ray.max.

Here is a video (sorry it's crude) showing the issue with no custom maxstart.max file in scenes (just my custom UI loaded). I load max, set render engine to V-ray. Load denoiser element in, click reset max hangs (black screens). Start a new max session, load in all elements but the denoiser click reset again and max resets the scene no problem.

On reflection I don't think it has much to do with the maxstart file, but something within max/v-ray itself?
                    Last edited by DanSHP; 19-07-2021, 06:06 AM.

Comment

Honestly.

I've had nothing but problems with Max 2022 and Vray 5. Is it one or the other(?) I don't know - but I wish I'd never upgraded from Max 2019/Next. I didn't know how good I had it.

Comment

I deleted my comment since I thought you already resolved the issue with the ENU folder. The behavior does not happen on my end, so I presume there was something odd with your preferences prior to the "factory" reset.
                        Aleksandar Hadzhiev | chaos.com
                        Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Just a heads up on this for whoever may come across similar issues.

I nailed this down to particular .vrimg in my VFB history dir, I'm fairly certain it's a historical one from V-ray next. It seems it may be corrupted and thus causing issues with V-ray5.0/Max2022.

I simply cleared the V-ray history dir and everything was hunky dory. Truly a breath of fresh air. Quite a wild ride troubleshooting this.

Chaos have confirmed the issue and submitted the particular .vrimg for further investigation.
                          Last edited by DanSHP; 09-08-2021, 02:30 PM.

Comment

Thanks to your troubleshooting we've indeed found the issue. The corrupted vrimg file happened to have the value 0 at a specific place which caused an endless loop trying to read the file. In V-Ray 5 the history images are loaded in a background thread and in this case it ended up blocked. When the scene is reset we signal that background thread to stop and wait for it - but it was endlessly looping trying to read the vrimg file so we blocked..

We'll add checks in some places so that such corruptions are properly handled and not block anything.
                            Yavor Rubenov
                            V-Ray for 3ds Max developer

Comment

Working...
                            X