Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VRay 5 & RPManager does not save VFB settings per renderpass

Hello,

So we just found out that VRay 5 does not save the VFB settings between passes when using RPManager, whereas the latest VRay Next version does.
    We are running max 2021.
    - Is this intended, and if so, is there a workaround?

My understanding of RPM is that scene states are saved for each renderpass, which is why I assumed RPM was able to save a unique VFB per pass.
    This is rather critical in that most of our WF is based around VFB grading rather than Photoshop.
    Last edited by Braiz; 19-08-2021, 12:08 AM.

I don't think it's a problem with VRay, more with RPManager. It's been posted about on RPManager's forum, http://www.jellybiscuits.com/phpBB3r...=86&p=340#p340, with no answers. Also on Chaos Forum, https://forums.chaosgroup.com/forum/...ss#post1104387. I know Olly's developed a rudimentary script to be able to save out the VFB layers on a per pass basis but is more of a workaround than an actual solution. It works for new scenes but another problem with RPManager and Vray5 is that all of the VFB color corrections from each RPManager pass from older scenes gets lost whenever you restore a pass from VRay Next. Say you have a VRay Next Scene with several RPManager passes each with different VFB settings, when you restore each pass with VRay 5, the VFB layers are all at the default (I think they are just whatever was loaded prior, I forget as I had to revert back to Next). I posted about this here: http://www.jellybiscuits.com/phpBB3r...ecc0a73bfe3438, also with no replies. I tried to at least get this data out of each pass so I could set it up manually or script it somehow but as best as I can tell there's no way to extract this data from the older scenes, but any help is appreciated.

These two "bugs" have meant that I can't upgrade to VRay 5 at the moment as I have several ongoing projects that have 10-20 passes each with unique color corrections. I realize that neither party is probably responsible for this, it's just a quirk of the new system that I hope can be resolved.
    Last edited by dlparisi; 18-08-2021, 06:37 AM.
    www.dpict3d.com - "That's a very nice rendering, Dave. I think you've improved a great deal." - HAL9000... At least I have one fan.

Comment

This is important info indeed, thanks so much.
      While this is looked into, and hopefully resolved, if you're in a rush you ought to know you can bring the old VFB back in v5 via one OS var.
      Another thing that's implemented in VFB2 is copying the whole layer set to a json string, that can be then copied back on a new image (check the attached script for example usage.).
      They can also all be saved to a file on disk, and loaded back in.
      None of these, alone, will be of much help, alas, perhaps it may reduce some of the load.
      Attached Files
      Lele
      Trouble Stirrer in RnD @ Chaos
      ----------------------
      emanuele.lecchi@chaos.com

Disclaimer:
      The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

Thanks Lele. I can't recall 100% right now but I think I tried forcing the old VFB and reloading RPManager passes and it did not restore the color correction settings. I'd try it again myself but the trial period has ended in 5 for me.
        www.dpict3d.com - "That's a very nice rendering, Dave. I think you've improved a great deal." - HAL9000... At least I have one fan.

Comment

Can anyone with VRay 5 and RPManager try reverting to the OS variable and confirm if it maintains the VFB settings per pass? Any help would be appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by ^Lele^ View Post
            This is important info indeed, thanks so much.
            While this is looked into, and hopefully resolved, if you're in a rush you ought to know you can bring the old VFB back in v5 via one OS var.
            Another thing that's implemented in VFB2 is copying the whole layer set to a json string, that can be then copied back on a new image (check the attached script for example usage.).
            They can also all be saved to a file on disk, and loaded back in.
            None of these, alone, will be of much help, alas, perhaps it may reduce some of the load.
            Lele: What was that env. variable to force the old VFB? IS it still available in 6? I'm still struggling with trying to access older RPManager passes to get the equivalent layers in the new VFB. With 6 out now I'm of course reinvested in getting it to work but I'm not seeing a solution. Even something manual so that I can see the values and I can enter them in myself in the new VFB.

Comment

VRAY_VFB2_ENABLED = 0/1
              However, it's not working with v6 anymore, while it still works for v 5.x
              Lele
              Trouble Stirrer in RnD @ Chaos
              ----------------------
              emanuele.lecchi@chaos.com

Disclaimer:
              The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

Thanks Lele. Not sure it would have helped but was something I was going to try.

Comment

Working...
                X