VRay Library Browser and naming in Material Editor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VRay Library Browser and naming in Material Editor

I'm not understanding something, maybe I'm totally barking up the wrong tree, but, if Siger can get the naming right from their library into the editor, why can't Chaos?
    Kind Regards,
    Morne

They do something which is theoretically impossible from within the Max UI: you can add as many materials with the same name to the *scene* and they will never once number it up.
    That is counter the max standards, and for very good reasons: one can easily end up with identical materials with the same name, assigned to different objects, and not related to one another.
    This immediately breaks the material editor: none of the shaders can be "put to scene" as max can't tell which is which, while they sport identical name and settings.
    It's also impossible to overwrite them all with a new material by same name.
    Naming a new, unrelated material like the ones just put into the scene, and asking the mat editor to "put to scene" will overwrite only one of the shaders, ignoring the rest.
    Uniqueness is preserved behind the user (and UI)'s back, and it's irretrieavble by standard means (and difficult via scripting as well.)
    Putting the materials to a library would overwrite them, as they have the same name, or number them up (only in the library, thereby breaking the unique relationship with the shader in the scene), showing the inconsistency with Max's canon i outlined.

I'd rather the user passed through the material editor first (where naming will be clean/cleanable before assignment), or manually renamed a material which is in fact unique in the scene.
    Both are much cheaper than breaking a scene's functionality like Sieger shaders allow.
    Lele
    Trouble Stirrer in RnD @ Chaos
    ----------------------
    emanuele.lecchi@chaos.com

Disclaimer:
    The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

Working...
    X