No announcement yet.

3ds Max - Error: Missing Vray *** text in quad menu and active shade window -

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3ds Max - Error: Missing Vray *** text in quad menu and active shade window -

Needing a little bit of help with an issue I am experiencing with 3DS Max - 2022 and 2021...

See the image attached.

Basically every time I start up 3Ds Max, i have these error: Missing Vray greyed out warnings. They compound ontop of each other after I close and open 3ds max.

I can get rid of them by going to Customize User Interface: Quad Tab - Right clicking and deleting each of the missing errors.

The problem is that A: This is not working as intended - B: Its cumbersome and slow and multiplies each time I close 3ds Max and it also shows up in the viewport selection tab as missing vray etc.

I have done the following -

Reinstalled 3ds max 2022 from the ground up - Removed all plugins from the computer etc - Fresh install of 3ds max 2022 and vray - First open after install, everything is fine. Close max, reopen and boom, the missing vray windows are back.

Removed the ENU Folder to reset plugins - works initially but ultimately reverts back.

My theory is that the plugins are having an issue loading from the script start up folder located under the appdata path - C:User/Appdata/local/autodesk/3dsMax/*Version*/ENU/Scripts/Startup

If anyone has any suggestions send them my way please!

What could be going on to cause this issue!?

Thanks!

Hi, I am pondering on this, but still can't figure it out.
    The Startup scripts shouldn't be the reason to mess it as they shouldn't be making the items go missing if not loaded. They can however be adding new entries in the menu, but the V-Ray's install scripts are normally running once after an installation.

As of the moment can you tell me on this machine that reproduces it are there these files present:
    1) "C:\Program Files\Autodesk\3ds Max 2022\en-US\UI\MaxStartUI.mnux"
    2) "C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\ApplicationPlugins\VRay3d sMax2022\scripts\vrayinstall.txt"

Best regards,
    Alexander
    Alexander Kazandzhiev
    V-Ray for 3ds Max developer

Comment

Hi Alex,

1. There is no MaxStartUI.mnux Present in the folder you listed.
      2. The vrayinstall.txt is present and in the appropriate folder -

I am completely lost in to why these issues are happening.

Comment

OK, the vrayinstall.txt should be deleted after the first run. But even if it's not it will just trigger the menu re-install so it shouldnt be causing the issue itself. I guess the problem is that the items are listed as missing on the next run and the re-install cannot recognize them. But why could they be is still a mistery

Best regards,
        Alexander
        Alexander Kazandzhiev

Comment

Originally posted by alexander.kazandzhiev View Post
          OK, the vrayinstall.txt should be deleted after the first run. But even if it's not it will just trigger the menu re-install so it shouldnt be causing the issue itself. I guess the problem is that the items are listed as missing on the next run and the re-install cannot recognize them. But why could they be is still a mistery

Best regards,
          Alexander
          I know you guys are working behind the scenes on this issue and for that im thankful!

Thanks!

Comment

So all in all we've found this https://knowledge.autodesk.com/suppo...t=macroscripts

Seems like if the directories somwhere on the path to the macroscripts are hidden it prevents the loading too. E.g. the full path on my machine is "C:\Users\akazandzhiev\AppData\Local\Autodesk\3dsM ax\2022 - 64bit\ENU\usermacros" and just making the "Autodesk" directory (only it) hidden prevents loading.
            For some reason we had a machine here that was having the "Autodesk" and "3ds Max" directories hidden. So can you check all directories along the path?

This also can be diagnosed as 3ds Max reports the hidden files in the log "C:\Users\akazandzhiev\AppData\Local\Autodesk\3dsM ax\2022 - 64bit\ENU\Network\Max.log". They appear as:
            2021/10/19 17:31:22 INF: [25784] [17860] Hidden/System startup script: 'C:\Users\akazandzhiev\AppData\Local\Autodesk\3dsM ax\2022 - 64bit\ENU\usermacros\VRay-ExportVismats.mcr', skip loading...
            2021/10/19 17:31:22 INF: [25784] [17860] Hidden/System startup script: 'C:\Users\akazandzhiev\AppData\Local\Autodesk\3dsM ax\2022 - 64bit\ENU\usermacros\VRay-VRayAmbientLight.mcr', skip loading...
            2021/10/19 17:31:22 INF: [25784] [17860] Hidden/System startup script: 'C:\Users\akazandzhiev\AppData\Local\Autodesk\3dsM ax\2022 - 64bit\ENU\usermacros\VRay-VRayBitmap2VRayBitmapTexmapConverter.mcr', skip loading...
            2021/10/19 17:31:22 INF: [25784] [17860] Hidden/System startup script: 'C:\Users\akazandzhiev\AppData\Local\Autodesk\3dsM ax\2022 - 64bit\ENU\usermacros\VRay-VRayBPTracer.mcr', skip loading...
            2021/10/19 17:31:22 INF: [25784] [17860] Hidden/System startup script: 'C:\Users\akazandzhiev\AppData\Local\Autodesk\3dsM ax\2022 - 64bit\ENU\usermacros\VRay-vrayCameraLister.mcr', skip loading...
            2021/10/19 17:31:22 INF: [25784] [17860] Hidden/System startup script: 'C:\Users\akazandzhiev\AppData\Local\Autodesk\3dsM ax\2022 - 64bit\ENU\usermacros\VRay-VRayClipper.mcr', skip loading...
            2021/10/19 17:31:22 INF: [25784] [17860] Hidden/System startup script: 'C:\Users\akazandzhiev\AppData\Local\Autodesk\3dsM ax\2022 - 64bit\ENU\usermacros\VRay-VRayDisplacementMod.mcr', skip loading...
            2021/10/19 17:31:22 INF: [25784] [17860] Hidden/System startup script: 'C:\Users\akazandzhiev\AppData\Local\Autodesk\3dsM ax\2022 - 64bit\ENU\usermacros\VRay-VRayDomeCamera.mcr', skip loading...

Best regards,
            Alexander
            Alexander Kazandzhiev

Comment

Alex, thank you so much. I will try these fixes to see what happens! Did this resolve the same issue on the computer on your end?

Thanks!

Comment

Yes and then we've tried it with two other machines here. It also seems to be a new thing implemented in 3ds Max 2021/2022, so I hope it will help in your case too.

Best regards,
                Alexander
                Alexander Kazandzhiev

Comment

Originally posted by alexander.kazandzhiev View Post
                  Yes and then we've tried it with two other machines here. It also seems to be a new thing implemented in 3ds Max 2021/2022, so I hope it will help in your case too.

Best regards,
                  Alexander
                  So I checked the files you mentioned, everything was fine.

I looked into the autodesk forum link and it seemed that the files for my user account were not given proper access - C:\Program Files\Autodesk\3ds Max 202X: at this location. I followed their steps and made sure the user account and admin account had the right access and now all seems good! I closed max and reopened several times and all is good!

Thank you for the help!

Comment

Cool, this was a tricky one, good that it worked.
                    Alexander Kazandzhiev

Comment

I had the same problem with 3ds Max 2023 and it seems to be related to the new security features see here...

https://help.autodesk.com/view/MAXDE...1-1128C4128C70

I am using Windows 11, so I am not sure if this is by design or just a W11 problem, but the user profile AppData folder is hidden by default since years under Windows. So all user macroscripts get blocked in my case and it seems for others too.

I moved the script usermacros folder from it's original location up to the Autodesk folder in the homefolder, which fixed the problem.

From here...
                      %LOCALAPPDATA%\Autodesk\3dsMax\2023 - 64bit\ENU\usermacros
                      to
                      %USERPROFILE%\Autodesk\3ds Max 2023\ENU\usermacros

The %USERPROFILE%\Autodesk\3ds Max 2023\ directory is there anyways and there are no hidden folders in this path.​

Comment

Working...
                      X