Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Import VRayProxies Normal Issues CAD data

Hi,

when converting CAD data to VRayProxies everything works and renders fine. However, when using the "Import as Mesh" option in the VRayProxy it will load the proxy into the scene, but the normals are facetted.
    This always happens with CAD data where the normals are (as far as I know) set up using vertex normals. When creating a standard teapot and exporting that as Proxy and loading that back as a mesh into the scene it seems to be fine.
    Just wondered if this is a known issue and may possibly be fixed down the line...
    Check out my FREE V-Ray Tutorials

Could you elaborate on what kind of CAD data are you referring to and the method of conversion to VRayProxy used so we can try to reproduce the issue?
    Aleksandar Hadzhiev | chaos.com
    Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Did you tick off the "use explicit normals" checkbox right below the "import as mesh" button on the Vray Proxy?
      CAD data (NX, Solidworks, Catia, Rhino etc) use explicit normals for their normal calculations whereas a teapot primitive in max will calculate the normals from the smoothing groups in max.

Comment

Originally posted by markus_s_cg View Post
        Did you tick off the "use explicit normals" checkbox right below the "import as mesh" button on the Vray Proxy?
        CAD data (NX, Solidworks, Catia, Rhino etc) use explicit normals for their normal calculations whereas a teapot primitive in max will calculate the normals from the smoothing groups in max.
        Oh awesome, that fixes it! Thx!
        Check out my FREE V-Ray Tutorials

Comment

Working...
        X