Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Crash nearly each time after a long render sequence 3dsMax2022 (after finish)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crash nearly each time after a long render sequence 3dsMax2022 (after finish)

I have since long time, on different computers, with different versions of Vray a problem:

It is crashing the application after rendering and sometimes after stopping a long render sequence.
    Currently I have latest nightly build with latest Max 2022.

It's not a huge problem, because I am used to it and save before rendering and it always finishes first.
    But this can't be normal...

Click image for larger version

Name:	2022-01-10 09_58_37-Application Error.png
Views:	409
Size:	16.3 KB
ID:	1136108

Hello,

Max writes crash dumps in your temp folder (type %TEMP% in the Windows explorer address bar). Those dumps are generally called 3dsmax_minidump.dmp. Could you send one such file here or to our support ?

Best regards,
    Yavor
    Yavor Rubenov
    V-Ray for 3ds Max developer

Comment

Hello,
      here is a link: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/g1am887xk..._XoPx0lua?dl=0

Thanks

Comment

Thanks for the crash dump. Unfortunately it doesn't show much information alone - there's some memory corruption that has happened and it leads to those errors at the end of the sequence.
        Can you share some scene that shows that behavior with our support ?
        Yavor Rubenov

Comment

Of course, I have sent a link to the file.
          ticket number is: 18550

Thanks for looking..
          It's happening with all kinds of (large) scenes, I'm not sure if it's anything especially with the scene.

Cheers

Comment

Hello, did you manage to find a solution? I'm having the very same issue (3dsmax 2022.3/vray 5.2.2).
            I guess it's related to Light cache, doesn't crash when rendering with brute force/brute force.

Comment

Hi,
              unfortunately not.
              But it "only" crahes when I stop the sequence rendering or after finish...

I will test next time brute force.
              Which is the downside of Brute Force? Is it much slower?
              I'm using light cache with 2000

Comment

I'm also getting a lot of crashes. Not every time...but often. Especially after/while using IPR.

I have 3DS Max 2022, Vray 5.2.2.

I use Brute Force primary & Light Cache secondary.

The file has a model imported from Sketchup...not sure if that affects things. This only started happening since I updated both vray and Max though...so I'm not sure which could be causing the issue.

Comment

I've been experiencing the same thing. Very similar to TerriBrown3d, esp with IPR and stopping/starting it several times. I haven't noticed any memory spikes to indicate a possible memory leak or the like. I've now switched from max 2022 to 3dsmax 2021 and V-Ray 5.2.2, not only because of the crashes, but also strange behaviour in max its self like attaching editable mesh's together and the objects normal's go nuts and yet the same file in 2019, 2020 and 2021 work just fine but that is for another thread.
                  Cheers,
                  -dave
                  â–  ASUS ROG STRIX X399-E - 1950X â–  ASUS ROG STRIX X399-E - 2990WX â–  ASUS PRIME X399 - 2990WX â–  GIGABYTE AORUS X399 - 2990WX â–  ASUS Maximus Extreme XI with i9-9900k â– 

Comment

I've also been noticing a lot of crashes when uses IPR and Itoosoft...not necessarily manipulating a model (I know that can be buggy with IPR so I generally avoid it), but even just adjusting railclone/forest color maps.

Comment

Is this an Autodesk issue or a Chaos issue? I'm having a crash at least every 30mins. At this rate I need to roll back one of my updates - either Max or Vray. Which do you guys at Chaos suggest? Or is there a stable nightly build I should install? I'm mid project so I need something stable...

Comment

It is hard to say just by the description. If you send us crash dumps or scenes we could try to check what is going on.
                        Yavor Rubenov

Comment

Hi Yavor. Yes sure...crash dump file here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/is72bythp2...idump.dmp?dl=0

Thanks a mil.

Comment

Thanks. Looking at the dump it seems it is related to some ForestPro geometry. The issue itself could be in our code or maybe on IToo's side.
                            Could you try turning off all ForestPro and RailClone geometries and see if there are still issues ? Other than that - if you could send a scene and some steps to reproduce the crash to our support - we could try to find the issue.
                            Yavor Rubenov

Comment

I JUST started having the same issue. Upgraded to newest release of forest, rail clone, and Vray on Monday. I'm fairly certain it's an itoosoft issue because I'm only getting crashes on exterior scenes.

Comment

Working...
                              X