Image I/O error

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Image I/O error

I'm getting this error now after rendering a +14K render and saving to .tga. Some of the render elements don't want to save. Some do. I don't really have time to troubleshoot but I had this error once in a blue moon, and I'm surprised it's still there. Might this be related to big resolutions?

Attached Files
    Last edited by Vizioen; 19-08-2022, 02:43 AM.
    A.

---------------------
    www.digitaltwins.be

It might. Usually, the I/O error is related to memory. Does it appear if you render lower resolution images? Also, which output are you using - the 3ds Max native or V-Ray's? PS. This should be useful.
    Aleksandar Hadzhiev | chaos.com
    Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Well I'm used to rendering larger ones actually. 14K is not that big. I'm used to 20K as well. Rarely have problems. The scene wasn't more complex as the other ones and only a few render elements. But I didn't check my memory though as I had another scene open. Although with 128GB ram should have been more than enough. I'll keep an eye out next time. Thanks.

Screenshot says 25 GB used btw. I can hardly believe the rest of my system was using more.
      Last edited by Vizioen; 19-08-2022, 01:29 PM.
      A.

---------------------
      www.digitaltwins.be

Comment

More questions: Do you have enough disk space in the location you're saving? Are you saving to a network? If yes, try saving locally. Are there any permissions set (i.e. Read only/access restrictions) in the output folder?

Comment

I'm saving locally. The disks have a few TB left, so that's not the problem either.
          A.

---------------------
          www.digitaltwins.be

Comment

I am not sure if this is the case, but I managed to reproduce the error by setting the output path to a non-existent one. Also, I read on various forums that non-Latin characters may also cause it.
            I can confirm denying read/write restrictions also causes it.

Comment

Sorry to disappoint. Output paths are fine, because some of the render elements do get saved, around 25% of them were saved. Path only contained letters numbers, dots and forward slashes.
              A.

---------------------
              www.digitaltwins.be

Comment

I have seen issues with path name lengths-- where some elements exceed a limit and other elements don't. Try a shorter filename and path name in general perhaps?

Comment

Thanks for all the tips. I'm very careful with path names and lengths. And everything is kept very short and well within the 256 character limit. I will update this thread if something else arises. Thanks guys.
                  A.

---------------------
                  www.digitaltwins.be

Comment

Hello Vizioen,
                    for me, the safest way at such high resolutions is always via pure vrimg, with disabled memory frame buffer.
                    After that you can convert the result to exr and extract anything you need.

That way i get ever poster siize work well done.

Kind regards
                    algato

Comment

Yeah I also start using vrimg more and more to save my images. Although I would really like a standalone VFB to be able to edit/export them to whatever I want. Now it's just a hassle opening 3dsMax.
                      A.

---------------------
                      www.digitaltwins.be

Comment

You can produce tiled, bufferless EXRs without having to go throuhg the vrimg format.
                        Simply choose the EXR extension from the file save dialog of the raw file save.
                        Lele
                        Trouble Stirrer in RnD @ Chaos
                        ----------------------
                        emanuele.lecchi@chaos.com

Disclaimer:
                        The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

Yes thank you Lele, I know, but I like the VFB for it's Lightmix, Tonemapping, easy cryptomatte masks, etc. The more abilities you guys add, the more powerful the VFB is becoming and the more it's used as a (preliminary) compositing tool (at least here).
                          A.

---------------------
                          www.digitaltwins.be

Comment

Oh, i was replying to algato , only about the saving of tiled vrimg files to convert later.
                            Lele
                            Trouble Stirrer in RnD @ Chaos
                            ----------------------
                            emanuele.lecchi@chaos.com

Disclaimer:
                            The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

Originally posted by Joelaff View Post
                              I have seen issues with path name lengths-- where some elements exceed a limit and other elements don't. Try a shorter filename and path name in general perhaps?
                              I'd put my bet on this as well.
                              https://www.behance.net/Oliver_Kossatz

Comment

Working...
                              X